Default Expunged Record Being Reported to Employers

Wow, this is the forum I've been searching for! I am also on the same boat as the other in here. I was convicted of a misdemeanor back in 2003, and had it expunged in 2005. Since then, I've graduated college, and have moved on with my life. Yet, I'm experiencing the same exact problems as stated above! I keep getting denied employment because somehow the consumer report agencies aren't stating that my record has been expunged. I've called about a hundred different people trying to get this matter resolved, but to no avail. And I do not have enough money to pay for an attorney to help with my situation. The consumer report agency ChoicePoint told me to go to my courthouse where the expungement was processed and have them give me the official expungement notice so that I could fax it over to them. I did just that. I have faxed over my expungement paperwork to ChoicePoint and they are currently filing a dispute. They said if everything goes good, then they will now have my expungement on file. But what about the rest of the consumer report agencies?! What about when they look up my file?! I've also asked for a full criminal history report from the DOJ, i had to get fingerprints done in order to ask for this report and pay a small fee. Once I get the report, I will try to contest the information in the report by stating that the expungement is not on there, if that's the case. I really don't know what to do, I'm going insane. I have been granted employment by companies, yet i get a call back stating my background check is forcing them to deny employment to me. Someone Please, anyone out there help me. Help us! As I now see, I'm not the only person effected by this matter. Thanks a lot!

Default Re: Expunged Record Being Reported to Employers

Quote Quoting gsrcivic
    View Post
    Wow, this is the forum I've been searching for! I am also on the same boat as the other in here. I was convicted of a misdemeanor back in 2003, and had it expunged in 2005. Since then, I've graduated college, and have moved on with my life. Yet, I'm experiencing the same exact problems as stated above! I keep getting denied employment because somehow the consumer report agencies aren't stating that my record has been expunged. I've called about a hundred different people trying to get this matter resolved, but to no avail. And I do not have enough money to pay for an attorney to help with my situation. The consumer report agency ChoicePoint told me to go to my courthouse where the expungement was processed and have them give me the official expungement notice so that I could fax it over to them. I did just that. I have faxed over my expungement paperwork to ChoicePoint and they are currently filing a dispute. They said if everything goes good, then they will now have my expungement on file. But what about the rest of the consumer report agencies?! What about when they look up my file?! I've also asked for a full criminal history report from the DOJ, i had to get fingerprints done in order to ask for this report and pay a small fee. Once I get the report, I will try to contest the information in the report by stating that the expungement is not on there, if that's the case. I really don't know what to do, I'm going insane. I have been granted employment by companies, yet i get a call back stating my background check is forcing them to deny employment to me. Someone Please, anyone out there help me. Help us! As I now see, I'm not the only person effected by this matter. Thanks a lot!
    yea same here

here's what a lawyer told me "This is becomming more of a problem with the large amounts of data available and the sensitivity of employers. You will want to hire an attorney in that jurisdiction and get a copy certified copy of the sentence and final disposition and contact the background check company.
    Also some states offer a certifcate of good standing and you may want to get a certificate for travel. "

Thanks for the response! That's exactly what I did, I faxed over a copy of my expungement to the background check company. And they are supposed to put the expungement on file for me. But this is only 1 company... What about the rest of the consumer agency companies in California? I'm going to constantly be denied employment until I get my expungement to every single agency? I wish I could hire an attorney, I'm 24, just graduated college not too long ago, and am dead broke.

Quote Quoting gsrcivic
    View Post
    Thanks for the response! That's exactly what I did, I faxed over a copy of my expungement to the background check company. And they are supposed to put the expungement on file for me. But this is only 1 company... What about the rest of the consumer agency companies in California? I'm going to constantly be denied employment until I get my expungement to every single agency? I wish I could hire an attorney, I'm 24, just graduated college not too long ago, and am dead broke.
    if you ask me there needs to be a class action suit against these companies.. I've paid a big price for their error. 60-70k opportunity. I don't think that's right

I totally agree with you. We are being denied employment, this needs to stop. Anyone else have any input on this?

1. Sponsored Links