Arrow No Legal Rights, Child Support

My question involves child support in the State of: Virginia

My daughters father is trying to sign over rights so he will not have to pay child support. If he signs over his rights will he? We have not gone to court for child support yet but I have turned in the paperwork and awaiting a court date.

Default Re: No Legal Rights, Child Support

The court is not going to let him abandon his parental rights and responsibilities just because he doesn't want to financially support the child he helped create.

He's not going to be permitted to "sign over his rights". It doesn't work that way. The only time a parent is permitted to voluntarily terminate their parental rights is in the case of step-parent (or other) adoption.

Is there anywhere (like a website) I can go besides talking with a lawyer, attorney or paralegal to get documentation of this?

Grounds for involuntary termination of parental rights in Virginia are here. Notice that none of them are "Wah, I don't wanna man up and pay child support!".

There are no grounds for voluntary termination of parental rights outside of adoptions. See some case law here.

If you need further reassurance, you should indeed consult an attorney. First visit is usually free.

Quote Quoting Kels2006
    View Post
    Is there anywhere (like a website) I can go besides talking with a lawyer, attorney or paralegal to get documentation of this?
    There would not be any child support agencies or child support hearings if all noncustodial parents could sign over their rights and not pay.

In fact most NCP don't have any rights to give up.

I would love to see the judge's face when this guy hands over signed papers that he is going to use to be free and clear of paying child support.

I have never been married. The house that my daughter lives in the last 15 years was completely setup by me. Down payment, points, 2 month mortgage payments, cleared the mother credit....ect Two years ago, the judge laugh at me when he found out I expect a reduce child payment.

From day one, I have no rights to hand over. So there is no such way of signing over rights to get out of child support payments. If there was I would have signed and hand delivered them myself 18 and a half years ago.

Quote Quoting Lawrence084
    View Post
    From day one, I have no rights to hand over. So there is no such way of signing over rights to get out of child support payments. If there was I would have signed and hand delivered them myself 18 and a half years ago.
    Wow... I'm so glad my son's dad wasn't like you.

Quote Quoting jmjens2
    View Post
    Wow... I'm so glad my son's dad wasn't like you.
    You haven't live a second in my shoes and you are already assuming my daughter's mother is a rational woman like yourself.

To this day, I live 3000 miles away from her and I still get threats of restraint orders. Why? Because I disagree on how she was going about getting my daughter in to college. Only applying to colleges seeking to giving my daughter a full scholarship if she passes a audition, instead of getting her in a good college and help paying for it. End results, my daughter taken out full year tuition of student loans at a college in another state and the mother pockets 100% of the child support.

Every single phone call I made to my daughter, her mother was on the other line and she had no bones about letting me know she was on the line.

I have been through 19 years of every advice, opinion and decision I made ended up with threats and personal attacks....

Okay I admit, I gave her a reason to hate me, by letting her know from day one I wasn't going to marry her because she cheated on my when we were dating and I believe once a cheater always a cheater. But my mistake was answering the obvious when asked "What do you want to do now?" When I got that phone call two weeks after conception. She tells my daughter my 19 year old answer every time my daughter wanted to see me.

It has been hell from day one and if you treat your son's father the same way, I like to know if he wouldn't have replied the same as I did.

Not every single mother is not as perfect as you....and if you give your son's father hell from day one to now and he still wanting to be in the picture he is definitely a lot better man than I am.

I can only take so much. I knew from day one I pregnant the greediest person on this planet. A "Gold Digger". Yeah I would have signed a piece paper 19 years ago, because I never had rights to give away. I didn't say I would not have given my daughter any money. I am saying I wouldn't have given her mother any.

Rights...what rights did I ever have to give up?

1. Sponsored Links