Question Is an Insurance Card Proof of Insurance

My question involves insurance law for the state of: California

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d07/vc16028.htm

When I was issued my insurance policy, I received an insurance card. The card shows my name, policy #, VIN and expiration date. As I can cancel the policy at any time prior to the expiration date, I don't see that it should be accepted as proof of insurance. Furthermore, when I asked my insurance company for something other than the insurance card I could carry with me that would show my policy was current, they said there wasn't anything.

So how do I protect myself should I be asked for proof of insurance when my insurance company doesn't provide me with anything showing that my policy is current?

Default Re: Is an Insurance Card Proof of Insurance

What do you think they should provide you with, and no matter what it is, how would its existance prove that you didn't cancel the policy ten minutes before?

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    What do you think they should provide you with, and no matter what it is, how would its existance prove that you didn't cancel the policy ten minutes before?
    If I were an officer, what would stop me from pointing out that the card you're showing me isn't really evidence of financial responsibility?

When an officer asks us for proof of insurance, why do we show the card rather than say that the insurance company is the one that has proof? In other words, shouldn't the officer be content receiving just the insurance company name and the policy number?

No, you have to show the card. That is how it works. If you don't you will get a ticket and have to show it to the judge in court.

The police generally know if you have insurance or not. If you cancel your insurance, that is immediately reported by the insurance company to the state DMV and is available to the police via their in-car computers.

Further, after a warning letter or two from DMV, your vehicle registration will be cancelled and/or your driver's license will be suspended.

Then when you get stopped with driving with a suspended license with knowledge, you will go straight to jail where morons generally belong.

=duffy;362379]If I were an officer, what would stop me from pointing out that the card you're showing me isn't really evidence of financial responsibility?
    it is not the officers decision. It is based in statute and as long as the card you have conforms to the requirements within the statute, it is a legal and accepted form of proof.

When an officer asks us for proof of insurance, why do we show the card rather than say that the insurance company is the one that has proof?
    because the card, at least, has an expiration date.

In other words, shouldn't the officer be content receiving just the insurance company name and the policy number?
    then how is he to know you are not lying? The date on the card should coincide with the expiration date of the policy.

It's not a perfect world. Maybe you can get your agent to live with his phone attached to his head so you can call him at a moments notice and corroborate your claim that your policy is still in effect. Until that happens, California accepts the card.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

FYI... IF the officer REALLY cared enough to find out, law enforcement agencies and the courts are set up to access DMV's computers. Insurers licensed to do business in CA, must report the current insurance status to the DMV. Also, if you had no insurance, the DMV would suspend your license. If your license is suspended, your proof of insurance is the least of your worries when sitting there talking to the officer (as you watch your car being put on the back of that tow truck).

1. Sponsored Links