Default Effect of Traffic Violation on Citizenship Oath Ceremony (N-445)

10 days before my citizenship oath ceremony, I got a traffic ticket with "VC 21453A red/stop vehicular." the fine is $456 and if I attend the traffic school the fine is $510.

On the N-445 Notice from immigration office, I must answer "yes" to the question 4 whether I have any traffic violation. will that affect my Oath ceremony?

I heard they most likely will postpone the ceremony if the ticket is uppaid at the time of ceremony.. any best advise? Is there any risk they would not let me to attend the ceremony even I paid the ticket with the receipt?

Default Re: Effect of Traffic Violation on Citizenship Oath Ceremony (N-445)

Obviously, you must answer yes to the question.

And yes, the ceremony is postponed until you pay the ticket. But that's all - you're not going to be denied citizenship or deported or anything. You just need to pay the ticket, and make sure you submit proof of payment to the immigration office.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

LawResearcherMissy, Thanks, I wonder if I paid it with traffic school, the fine is over $500, I know if anything more than $500 is not consider good by immigration office.

I wonder does it help if I go to traffic school or just pay for the fine is ok? any risk they might postpone my ceremony or reopen my case?

It sounds to me like the higher cost is the fine plus the cost of traffic school. I assume traffic school is meant to keep points off your license?

Immigration is not going to re-open your case over a traffic violation. You've already passed your citizenship test, now all that's left is to raise your right hand, take the oath, jump up and down like a happy little kid, and go out to party with your loved ones.

Relax. Pay the fine. Submit a copy of the receipt to immigration, and take one to the ceremony just in case there's a paperwork snarl.

Welcome Home, Citizen.
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.

Relax. Pay the fine. Submit a copy of the receipt to immigration, and take one to the ceremony just in case there's a paperwork snarl.

do I need to mail the proof to the immigration office? I was thinking to take the receipt of the paid ticket to the ceremony is enough.

In theory, taking the receipt to the ceremony should be enough.

For as much as you're stressing about this, though, it certainly can't hurt to make sure that they have it in two places.

LawResearcherMissy, I stress out because I had two criminal records, though they are very small, but still worries me. that's why I try to get my citizenship asap.

1. Sponsored Links