Unhappy Denied Access to Aunt's Personal Effects

In the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

My elderly, never married, child-less Aunt has recently passed away. We had been in contact in the past, but only by telephone over the last several years, but had only seen each other at a funeral about 6 months ago. I received a call from someone telling me of her passing. This person did not say it but I now have found that he is an attorney. Last year my Aunt added him to her deed on the house that my grandmother originally owned. I am not really interested in the house but wanted to be able to retrieve family photos and personal effects. This person has told me when the funeral is, where it is and will not tell me if I can have any access to her effects. I have gone online to the Registry of Deeds and have seen that there have been a succession of mortgages (seven at my count) that have been taken out and then discharged on the house over the last 5 years. One is in force at this time. This makes me worry about the relationship that this person had with my aunt. They were even listed on one of the mortgages as a "non-vested interest". Can I gain access to any of the personal effects? If there is a will probated, with this person getting everything can I still gain the opportunity to collect family related momentoes? I do not know about any will, have not been told of one, but I assume that there is one.

Thanks.

Default Re: Denied Access to Aunt's Personal Effects

You can find out if a will was filed with the county probate court. If there was a will filed then you can request a copy. You can also find out who the court named as executor or administrator. That may help identify who you should be contacting.

if nobody opens probate, you can open probate and ask the courts to demand a presentation of the will, if there is one known. In fact, since this person is not a relative, you would be appointed administrator before he would.

Today I received a message stating that the person is an attorney and is "trying" to get appointed as administrator. No information given as to whether there is a will in place or not.

if that is what you want,that's fine. What I read stated that a relative would be appointed before a non-relative. So, if you do not want the guy to be admin, now is the time to do something about it.

1. Sponsored Links