Default Medical Benefits Debit Card Stolen

My question involves a theft in the State of: Tennessee

My medical benefits debit card was stolen last Monday. This is considered a debit card, but does not require a PIN, just a signature. At the time of the theft, the card had $350.00 of available funds

There are 3 people involved; I'll call them Jane, Mary, and Sue. I vaguely know Jane, but not the other two. None of them had authorization to use the card.

Jane stole the card and gave it to Mary who used it to pay $34.00 for Mary's over the counter medications. I don't know who signed

Mary used the card to pay for Sue's $100.00 visit to the doctor. In this case, Mary signed Jane's name.

I haven't seen the police report yet, what are the possible charges and penalities? Who files the charges, the police or me?

Default Re: Medical Benefits Debit Card Stole in Tennessee

Generally speaking, the police forward the report on to the county Prosecutor, who then proceeds with the charges.

Without knowing the charges, it's impossible to guess at potential penalties. Give the Prosecutor's office a ring, they'll explain the charges and penalties.

Default Re: Medical Benefits Debit Card Stolen

Quote Quoting jennyw
    View Post
    My question involves a theft in the State of: Tennessee

My medical benefits debit card was stolen last Monday. This is considered a debit card, but does not require a PIN, just a signature. At the time of the theft, the card had $350.00 of available funds

There are 3 people involved; I'll call them Jane, Mary, and Sue. I vaguely know Jane, but not the other two. None of them had authorization to use the card.

Jane stole the card and gave it to Mary who used it to pay $34.00 for Mary's over the counter medications. I don't know who signed

Mary used the card to pay for Sue's $100.00 visit to the doctor. In this case, Mary signed Jane's name.

I haven't seen the police report yet, what are the possible charges and penalities? Who files the charges, the police or me?
    Did you call the card's servicer and inform them of the fraudulent use, and if you did what was the amount of time that lapsed between the fraud and your call to the provider?

Default Re: Medical Benefits Debit Card Stolen

The card was 1st used on Oct. 16th; I did not know it had been stolen at that time. I missed the card on the night of the 18th & thought it was lost. I contacted the card's servicer the 1st thing the next day.
    The representative said a charge had been made on the 16th. As we were talking, she said a $100.00 charge had just been made. She gave me the name of the doctor's office; I went there and told the office manager the card was stolen. She said "Sue" was still with the doctor; the manager called the police. During the police interview with "Sue" it all came out about the other two people's involvement.

1. Sponsored Links