Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Family Business Forcing a Child to Work, Unwillingly

Is it legal to force a 15 (or soon to be) 16 year old into working for a business? If it is not legal what are the options? Last, I am not getting paid, but I have been working there for 3 years, I work anywhere from 35 - 50 hours per week without pay, if this is not legal, what can I do? (Even if it is, any suggestions?)

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Default Re: Family Business, Forcing a Child to Work, Unwillingly

How do you manage to work 50 hours per week, go to school and do homework?

Not very well, but I don't go to school I do it online. To her, the Number one priority is working at her store, Dairy Queen. Second is chores, and in the mean time I have to find time for myself to do school work. I'm struggling at the moment, and passing most of my classes, I just don't have enough time for all of them.

Why don't you call your local department of labor, file a complaint and sue her for the wages.

Here you go:
    Office of the Labor Commissioner
    555 E. Washington Avenue Suite 4100
    Las Vegas, Nevada 89101
    PH: 702-486-2650
    FAX: 702-486-2660
    EMAIL: mail1@LaborCommissioner.com

Thank you so much, just one last question, will there be any way for me just to stop working for her? Also, is it illegal to force a child to work? Because I want to be educated before I do something like that.

It is not illegal for a parent to force their children to do anything, unless, it's against the law (like making you kill someone). Can you stop working for her? Sure, then you suffer the consequences of your actions. It would be a cold day in all of hell before one of my children told me what THEY were going to do in MY house. They'd soon find out just how far my money stretches to provide for themselves (word to the wise).

I don't want to disrespect her, and due to her lack of understanding on my behalf I am running out of options. I am not the perfect person I know, but I can support myself, given the option. I have been offered several jobs in the past, just because I can give good customer service to people in a position of hiring me, but I can't work for them because I don't have the option of it. I was wondering if it was illegal to force someone to work for free, family or not. I was just told that by my friend's father, so I wanted to confirm it with someone who would know better then him. I'm just asking for help, please don't get upset with my questions for I am just trying to understand my options.

No one is getting upset. I gave you the information to the Labor Commission. Call them and ask them. You want to educate yourself on the matter, there is all the information you need in order to do that.

Wonderful. If I just call them ask they won't conduct an investigation or anything will they? If I am just wanting information they will just give it to me rather than forcefully get into my life, yes?

Quote Quoting 2502cogr
    View Post
    Wonderful. If I just call them ask they won't conduct an investigation or anything will they? If I am just wanting information they will just give it to me rather than forcefully get into my life, yes?
    Call them and find out. I'm sure if you're calling and reporting a violation of labor law to the Labor Commission and you are this intent on fixing the problem, then it doesn't matter. It's the principal of it all. You need money to get out on your own, and you feel as if your employer owes you money. These are the people who, if they feel you are entitled, will help you obtain that money. Don't back pedal now. You were completely adamant at first, complaining of not only the working conditions, but your living conditions and social situation. You MUST do something, instead of just complain.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast