Angry Clear Titled Vehicle Repossessed

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Georgia
    I paid cash for a vehicle in Georgia and have a clear title. I traveled to another state and after being there for two days, my vehicle was "stolen" by the seller and driven to an impound yard. I explained to them AND the police what had happened and was told that it is a civil matter. The seller had placed a tracker on my vehicle, activated it, and had his goons come and get it. In talking with the seller I was told that he decided he could get more for it, that he had sold it too cheaply, and that I had to come up with an additional $5,000!!! I also found out the seller had applied for a lost title and his "retreivers" said that the State of GA had voided out my title. The date on the title the drivers had was for August-mine is dated September and shows 0 in the leinholder column. Meanwhile, the seller instructed the impound yard to also send all of my personal belongings out of state with the vehicle!!! I can't file a report with my insurance company because the police will not take a report, saying, again, it is a civil matter! What do I do, and since when is stealing a vehicle NOT a criminal matter???

Default Re: Clear Titled Vehicle Repossessed

so sue the folks that took the vehicle and the dealer that they worked for.

this story just screams :there has to be more that is not being told.

What excuse did the impound lot give for not releasing the car to you when you showed up with clear title?

I was told by the seller that the vehicle was going to be transported to GA on Friday (the day after Thanksgiving...good timing, since the impound lot was closed that day.) After much searching for the phone number and location, I called the impound lot where it was being held in MI on Wednesday, which was 2hours away, and told them I was on my way with the clear title. They informed me that my vehicle was being picked up in 1/2 hr and was going to be transported to GA. I told them I had a clear title, and she insisted on going by the paperwork provided by the crook who sold it to me. I asked about my property and was told that she was cataloging it at that time. By the time I got there, they were closed for the holiday and my vehicle was on its way to GA. I talked to the tow truck driver who had possession of my vehicle and explained I had a clear title and that he was to bring the vehicle BACK. I asked him what date his title was dated-he said August. I said mine is dated September. He said the seller informed him that the State of GA had voided that title. (BS) The bill of sale was in the truck... I went to the sheriff's department and showed them the clear title and tried to file a stolen vehicle report. They wouldn't take it. I also called the Secretary of State in MI and GA and was, again, told it was a civil matter. To add insult to injury, the repo company in GA is now holding my possessions "for ransom" (the seller instructed the repo company in MI to put all of my personal property BACK in the vehicle and transport them to GA, as well), I have to forward a release of vehicle letter along with the keys and remote, plus $125 storage fees to get my personal property. Some if my property cannot be replaced (wedding rings, the last gift I received from my mother before she passed away, etc.) I have no doubt that if I get nasty right now, my belongings with end up "missing..." I SWEAR TO GOD this is the whole truth. I don't blame anyone for being skeptical, because it is the most outlandish situation I have ever heard of myself. There are no facts left unspoken-I paid $5000 cash for the vehicle, he activated a tracker on it, and took it back. He told me "I never should have sold it to you that cheap. If you want it back, come up with another $5000." I know this is hard to believe, but I'm willing to swear under oath that these are the facts-all of them. Everyone says, "He can't do that", or "that's illegal", but he did, and I'm screwed. Since when is stealing a car NOT a criminal matter? If I sue them, I have to do it in GA and my legal and travel fees could result in more than what I paid for the vehicle. And why should I have to retain an attorney when this is something the police should handle? I need advice...and no, this doesn't pass the "smell" test, but I'm living it, and it is my reality right now.

so, first thing I would do is contact the sect. of state and get clarification on the title issue. It may be he illegally had the title voided and they may reverse their action. (hopefully)

then, since the personal property was out of the vehicle and the guy picking it up told the impound yard to put it back in...that is now theft and should be addressed by the police. Once the stuff was out of the vehicle and in control of the impound yard, the seller had no concern with the personal possessions and his action could be seen as conversion.

and if they came and took the stuff from Michigan the crime took place in Michigan and that is who should be taking the report. If the MI police balk at the situation, contact the county prosecutor in the county it took place.

1. Sponsored Links