Hybrid View

Default Amending Consular Report of Birth Abroad (form FS-240)

I am retired form the military. While on active duty, another military member gave birth to my son. Since we were not married, and I was not present at the birth, my name does not appear on the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (form FS-240). Although there is some information on the State Dept. web site, I still haven't figured out what documentation I need to add my name to this form. I also feel like I have no parental rights, since I'm not recognized by any authority as his father. Since he was born abroad, no state has jurisdiction over this matter it seems. He lives in Florida with his mother, and I live in Pennsylvania. Does anyone know how I can cut through the red tape and establish my parental rights?

You seem to be referring to this material:
    Quote Quoting Amending / Correcting the Consular Report of Birth
    To amend or correct a Consular Report of Birth, submit a written request - accompanied by certified copies of all documents appropriate for effecting the change (e.g., foreign birth certificate, marriage certificate, court ordered adoption or name change, birth certificates of the adopting or legitimating parents, affidavits, etc.). The original FS-240 or replacement FS-240, or a notarized affidavit concerning its whereabouts, also must be included.
    Does the child's birth certificate include you as the father? Where was it issued?

I read that on the State Department web site. However, it doesn't say what the affadavit must say. Contacting them by phone today was an exercise in futility and made a good case for slashing the State Department payroll by two-thirds.

Also, with foreign births, no birth certificate is issued. The Report of Birth Abroad serves as an equivalent document. Birth certificates are state issued documents.

What affidavit? The affidavit about the whereabouts of the original FS-240? Not to be obvious, but the affidavit would indicate the location of the FS-240.

1. Sponsored Links