Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wrongfully Ticketed for Solicitation of a Prostitute

My question involves criminal law for the state of: West Virginia

At night last week, i was getting in my car to drive home after getting groceries and some chick comes outa nowhere asks for a ride, says her brother owes her some cash and she'll give me 5bucks for gas , so i'm like whatever. We drive a few blocks, she gets out and seems to be talking to someone, gets back in and says her brother is not there and we gotta go to the 7-11 a few blocks away so we go there, of course her brother is not there either,
    so no gas money for my time, i say fine whatever i'll drop you back off at the grocery store where i meet her, its only a few 4-5 blocks away and its on my way back to where i'm staying, as we start drive she starts toughing my hair and asking if i got any money, i ask "why?" then she SOLICITS me saying she'll suck my dick for $10, i shoot her down and say, we're almost back to the grocery store yo can get out there.
    I drive her back to the grocery store and as i'm pulling over to the side of the road to let her out, a cop throws his lights on.
    We go throw the normal song and dance of license and registration andsays he's been folliw me since seeing me pull into the 7-11. He tells her to get out, uses her first name, appearently shes a well known prostitute in the area and I tell them i now know that cause she had just solicited me. when they questioned her this whore lies and says I solicited HER, so these pigs write us BOTH a ticket for solicitation, and then let me go on my way. No arrest, just a ticket which is written out on one of those standard traffic ticket forms.
    Its just a misdemeanor but i think its absolutely rediculous i'm getting ticketed for this based on the word of a supposedly WELL KNOWN prostitute. I'm from illinois visiting a friend in West Virginia so it sucks i have to deal with being in court on Dec 16th when i live almost 600miles away.
    Any suggestions on what to do. Obviously i'm gonna go to court and plead not guilty. But is there anything else i can do? What are the odds this charge will stick? Any and All help is greatly appreciated. If i posted this in the wrong section, mods feel free to move it to the appropriate section.

Default Re: Wrongfully Ticketed for Solicitation of a Prostitute

Rule
    1) don't pick up strangers
    2) don't pick up strangers
    3) see rules one and two and repeat

Obviously i'm gonna go to court and plead not guilty. But is there anything else i can do? What are the odds this charge will stick?
    We cannot give you "odds". The court doesn't work that way.

You've already decided upon the course of action folks here would recommend - show up for court and plead Not Guilty. You'd do well to retain counsel.

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    We cannot give you "odds". The court doesn't work that way.

You've already decided upon the course of action folks here would recommend - show up for court and plead Not Guilty. You'd do well to retain counsel.
    would it be a waste of time to get a court appointed attorny?

Retaining counsel is never a waste of time.

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    Retaining counsel is never a waste of time.
    right, but i know court appointed attornies have a rep for not being the most helpful
    does the court appoint them at the time of the court date?

Quote Quoting fenriswolf
    View Post
    right, but i know court appointed attornies have a rep for not being the most helpful
    does the court appoint them at the time of the court date?

This would appear to be a possible jailable offense, yes, BUT, you can only get a court appointed attorney IF you are indigent, papers will have to filled out declaring income, expenditures, etc.

considering the cop doesn't have a shred of proof i solicited for sex other than the word of a known hooker trying to get herself out of trouble, and i don't have a criminal record, this should get thrown out without needing to spend money on some attorny right?
    any one know what the income limit is for court appointed attornies?

First of all, I hope this is a 'made up' story and that you're just toying with the readers. Beyond that, I have to say it seems amusing....especially your crude description of the chick's proposal.

If this is true, I think it may be a bit of a hassle but you should prevail. It seems highly unlikely that she'll be willing to testify against you. I'd suggest you talk with an attorney and get some advice on the best way to proceed. It doesn't seem to me that spending money on a jury trial would serve the interests of the prosecution in your case.

Also, did you happen to save your grocery receipt? I think that could prove very helpful since it would seem pretty unlikely that you'd leave the grocery store and then drive to the 7-11. After all, if you were truly looking for some professional attention, you'd most likely go to the grocery store afterwards.....so your ice cream wouldn't melt.

Well, first, I'd advise you to not miss your court date, despite how far away
    it is.

Luckily, the ticket could probably get dismissed in court, as there is no
    exact evidence that states that you had solicited her, other than her own
    word. No witnesses. Nothing.

It seems that they'll probably just have you pay a fine. If you don't want to
    pay it, just plead not guilty and allow a jury to decide.

In the future, it would probably be better to never pick strangers up again.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast