Default Social Gaming Laws

My question involves business law in the state of: Oregon

1) I was reviewing the law in a nearby town regarding social gaming. In this law, under a section titled "Responsibilities of licensee", it reads:

"It shall be the responsibility of the licensee to ensure that:
    4) There are no off-premises signs advertising gambling, card playing, or social games.
    ..."

My question is...does this only apply in the city limits of where this ordinance is? Meaning, if I had a card playing operation, could I place a billboard outside the city limits advertising poker? What about an ad inside of a bus? How is "sign" defined?

2) In almost every ordinance (including state level), it says "no house player, house bank or house odds, and there shall be no house income from the operation of the social game."
    A friend of mine has opened a card playing operation inside of a bar, where he has acquired a license from city council. He claims that he can charge rake from the game because he is not defined as "house", the bar is. My interpretation of the law is that no person at all can profit from the game by any other way than playing in it. Who's right?

Thank you all in advance for all your help.

Default Re: Social Gaming Laws

What makes you think that a sign outside of the city limits isn't off-premises?

If you want to play with fire, I suggest running your business plan past a lawyer and getting an opinion letter from the lawyer validating your business model. Your friend seems eager not only to play with fire, but to get burned.

1. Sponsored Links