Default Custody, Visitation and Adoption

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: florida

Alright so heres the issue. me and my fiance have 2 children 9 and 5... nether of them are mine biologicaly. the father of the 5 year old ( "j") signed the birth certificate but no paternatiy has been established. ("j") is our 5 year old who is also deaf. here is my questions. the father has in the past year stopped coming around and also when he says he is going to come around he changes plans at the last minute. i love and raise these boys both emotionaly and monetarally. we have decided that enough is enough and that we would like to have sole custody for my fiance at the very least perferably with me adopting both boys. im in the military and she works for the school board. the bio father dosent even know sing language! so i guess what im looking for is what forms would we need to file and what rights do we have? also what right does he have? we moved from florida to mississippi and we really not even sure where were sopossed to file at! And would it be possible for the biological dad to force our family to move back to florida or force his way into having a kid who hes never had to deal with to live with him 6months out of the year?thank you

Default Re: Custody

Quote Quoting moxion234
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: florida

Alright so heres the issue. me and my fiance have 2 children 9 and 5... nether of them are mine biologicaly. the father of the 5 year old ( "j") signed the birth certificate but no paternatiy has been established. ("j") is our 5 year old who is also deaf. here is my questions. the father has in the past year stopped coming around and also when he says he is going to come around he changes plans at the last minute. i love and raise these boys both emotionaly and monetarally. we have decided that enough is enough and that we would like to have sole custody for my fiance at the very least perferably with me adopting both boys. im in the military and she works for the school board. the bio father dosent even know sing language! so i guess what im looking for is what forms would we need to file and what rights do we have? also what right does he have? we moved from florida to mississippi and we really not even sure where were sopossed to file at! And would it be possible for the biological dad to force our family to move back to florida or force his way into having a kid who hes never had to deal with to live with him 6months out of the year?thank you
    When was the move? Is there a reason that can't post for herself?

The first step toward step-parent adoption is marrying the mother. When's the big day?
    Quote Quoting moxion234
    View Post
    the father of the 5 year old ( "j") signed the birth certificate but no paternatiy has been established.
    If the father signed an affidavit of parentage that has been filed with the state, that would have established his paternity.

Are you asking only in relation to the five-year-old?

Default Re: Custody, Visitation and Adoption

I am not an attorney, only a paralegal, however, I am also military and have experience with this particular issue so I'll offer a little advice. Talk to an attorney adn see about a step-parent adoption. I personally know three seperate families with similar situations in which the step-parent and parent filed for adoption and were awarded the adoption without the other parent's consent. Quite a few states have laws that deal with step parent adoption so you might want to consult your state's attorney, but I've seen this sucessfully done several times. Ask JAG for references.

the move was 7 months ago and were posting this together...... like i said nothing has been filed except that he singed the birth certificate.... the more i research the more it seems like i might b able to adopt him with out the bios consent... dose anyone have more info?

1. Sponsored Links