Default California Utility Company Easement Access

I live on a small property that has a utility pole in one corner of the backyard. In the past, the various utility companies have accessed this pole from the neighbors yard which provides more room for a tall ladder or even ample room for a bucket truck. The occasions that they have needed to access this pole from my yard they have always knocked on the door to let us know that they would be back there. Today however, I awoke to see a man standing right outside my bedroom window (which is about 15 feet away from the utility pole). I was one number away from dialing "911" when I realized it was a guy from the cable company. After confronting the man about having some common courtesy and announcing his intentions before trampling through someone's backyard, and only getting a "shove off, I have easement rights" response I started researching what kind of rights residents have in respect to this issue, but have turned up nearly nothing. Does anybody have any insight?

Default Re: California Utility Company Easement Access

polar33 ask....

"After confronting the man about having some common courtesy and announcing his intentions before trampling through someone's backyard, and only getting a "shove off, I have easement rights" response I started researching what kind of rights residents have in respect to this issue, but have turned up nearly nothing. Does anybody have any insight? "

Check your Title Insurance policy if you have one. Generally the exceptions are listed in Schedule "B" of the policy. You should find all the easements and restrictions concerning your land along with the instrument number for their public record. Get a copy of the instrument and read it. there. This will tell you what you can or can't do about it.

Hope that helps.

"shove off, I have easement rights"
    Did the guy actually say that?

Very poor public relations by a public utility. Most likely not an employee but a subcontractor untrained in the basics, and being paid on a piecework basis.

DB has given you good advice which I recommend that you follow. But if I were you I would additionally ratchet up a complaint to the utility company about the extremely off-putting and unnecessary rudeness. If I am not mistaken, in California, all employees of public utility companies visiting you on your property are required to have photo identification visible and present it upon request.

In some cases, cable companies have been piggy-backed on existing utility easements, and sometimes under the authority of the local government. I would also complain to them as they may be the selectors of the cable franchise.

Land Surveyor is right in my opinion.

Sometimes a political fuss can have a better result than a legal fuss.

1. Sponsored Links