Default Victim of a Crime in 1997 - Can We Still Do Anything

My question involves injury or loss that occurred in the state of: Florida and we live in Ohio. My husband was a victim in 1997 of a violent crime. No charges were ever filed against anyone. He recently had his 3rd surgury on his ankle for the same injury. We have all the police reports, medical records, and paper work from victims of violent crimes. We have finaly found out that he is going to be in pain for the rest of his life and that the nerve damage is too massive to be fix. At this point my husband can not even but on shoes and he is only 33yrs old. Do we have any recourse on this? Can we go after the guy named in the police report or the state of Florida for not filing criminal charges against him? My husband may never be able to work again and I need Help. Thanks!

Default Re: Victim in 1997 Can We Still Do Anything

Unfortunately, after so many years, you really have no recourse at this point. No one can force criminal charges to be brought, and civil suits for personal injury claims must be filed in Florida within a limited time frame which has expired by almost a decade at this point. The Florida Crime Victim Compensation Program could have assisted, even without charges being brought, so long as your husband cooperated with the investigation, but the claim would have needed to be filed within a year (or with certain exceptions, 2 years) from the date of the crime. Ten plus years is simply way too long to wait to try to address the issue I'm afraid, at either the criminal OR civil level.

1. Sponsored Links