Default Red Light Ticket in Lynnwood, Washington

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Washington

I recently received a notice of infraction from the city of Lynnwood for running a red light.

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52696

I reviewed this post, which is from another member who also got a red light ticket in Lynnwood. I will be dealing with the same judge and prosecutor, and would like to get any input on possible defenses for my case.

Default Re: Red Light Ticket in Lynnwood, Washington

Did you have any questions?

Yes, Once the prosecuting attorney argues that it is my burden, as he did in the post above, what would be a good counter arguement?

I can only think of ONE counter-argument -- but it's pretty good, I think. Someone, please, correct me if I'm wrong. RCW 46.63.075 states (in pertinent part):

Quote Quoting RCW 46.63.075
    (2) This presumption may be overcome only if the registered owner states, under oath, in a written statement to the court or in testimony before the court that the vehicle involved was, at the time, stolen or in the care, custody, or control of some person other than the registered owner.

As you can see from the highlighted portion above, the law provides that the written statement or oral testimony, made under oath, is the ONLY means to overcome the presumption. The word "only" in statutory construction PRECLUDES any and all other alternatives. In this case, it precludes ANY OTHER means of overcoming the presumption. In fact, according to the law, no other proof SHOULD even BE acceptable. Nor any combinations of other proofs.

In fact, to even ASK for other proof is to totally ignore the word "only" in the statute, the use of which makes it clear that the legislature's intention was to limit the ways the presumption could be overcome to just one.

The prosecutor in the case from the other thread was dead wrong, however, he/she got away with it because the defendant was ill-equipped to argue the law.

Barry
    Where am I going? And why am I in this handbasket?

Quote Quoting blewis
    View Post
    I can only think of ONE counter-argument -- but it's pretty good, I think. Someone, please, correct me if I'm wrong. RCW 46.63.075 states (in pertinent part):

As you can see from the highlighted portion above, the law provides that the written statement or oral testimony, made under oath, is the ONLY means to overcome the presumption. The word "only" in statutory construction PRECLUDES any and all other alternatives. In this case, it precludes ANY OTHER means of overcoming the presumption. In fact, according to the law, no other proof SHOULD even BE acceptable. Nor any combinations of other proofs.

In fact, to even ASK for other proof is to totally ignore the word "only" in the statute, the use of which makes it clear that the legislature's intention was to limit the ways the presumption could be overcome to just one.

The prosecutor in the case from the other thread was dead wrong, however, he/she got away with it because the defendant was ill-equipped to argue the law.

Barry
    I am sorry if I am a bit confused-but does this mean if you argue that you werent driving it WILL be thrown out? Or-it MIGHT be thrown out??

Thanks for any input! I need to come to a decision on the same basic ticket.

Quote Quoting blewis
    View Post

Barry

You're kidding yourself if you think there's any argument that the judge would accept here. They've had hundreds of cases come through, have heard all the arguments. What the judge really knows is that if he accepts this argument, it will be impossible to enforce any of these tickets. Your chance on this is to accept you will lose in district court, take it up on appeal, and hope you can get the appellate courts to actually consider your argument seriously.

Feel it's not worth the time, trouble, and potential money? You're exactly right, and you just got rolled by the system. Let's hope someone unreasonably stubborn takes up the issue for all of us.

Just to add this as you were probably charged under LMC 11.18.010... The city's own version is pretty close to the states but you never know,,,

11.18.030 Prima facie presumption.
    B. This presumption may be overcome only if the registered owner, under oath, states in a written statement to the court or in testimony before the court that the vehicle involved was, at the time, stolen or in the care, custody or control of some person other than the registered owner. (Ord. 2789 1, 2009; Ord. 2642 1, 2006)
    http://www.mrsc.org/wa/lynnwood/index_dtSearch.html

1. Sponsored Links