Default Just Bought House with Shared Driveway, Neighbor Believes It is Not Shared

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Maryland

I just purchased a house that has a shared driveway. The man who lived there previously never owned a car, and allowed the neighbors to park on his share of the driveway - because he never needed to use it. However, he never told them that they could actually have that portion of his property.

The neighbors have lived there for about 15 years, and have been the only ones using the driveway during that time.

I want to use the driveway to have off-street parking. However, the neighbors claim that the driveway is theirs entirely. The property line drawing I received at settlement clearly shows that the property line runs up the middle of the driveway. I paid for that property, and I am paying property taxes on it.

I don't want the neighbors to hate me right off the bat, but half of the driveway is mine, and I should be allowed to use it. What can I do?

Default Re: Just Bought House with Shared Driveway, Neighbor Believes It is Not Shared

Get a survey done - the property line drawing is insufficient - give a copy of it to your neighbors, and tell them that you will take them to court if they don't honor the property line.

Default Re: Just Bought House with Shared Driveway, Neighbor Believes It is Not Shared

Get the survey done, with corner points set and a map provided. Get a copy of your assessment (County Assessor's office). It may mention something about the driveway.

Go to your neighbor with this and any other info that definitively shows that it is a shared driveway.

Don't threaten any legal action until after you guage your neighbor's response. It may simply be a misunderstanding that proper information and friendly discussion will clear up. As you said, "I don't want the neighbors to hate me right off the bat".

If they refuse to yield your half of the driveway to you, then you may have no other viable option than to threaten and pursue legal action.

1. Sponsored Links