Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Someone is Slandering My Professional Reputation

I just want advice. If any of you were in this situation, what would you do?

I work as a professional dog trainer and have for 4 years. I also volunteer at an animal shelter. My passion is helping animals, obviously.

Some of my friends had a dog who they could no longer keep, so I contacted a long term customer whom I thought would love this dog as a new addition to her family, and she accepted.

Turns out this dog had severe medical problems; tumors, an untreated back injury, and was brain dead due to over use of a shock collar and aggressive. She gave the dog up to a shelter because she was unable to afford the medical expenses.

I found out today she went to my work and where I volunteer telling everyone that I should never go near another dog again in my life, I should not be hired, and that I should never own another dog again in my life.

Although I had nothing to do with raising this dog, I found out this person may have had earlier personal issues with me. Apparantly she disagrees with some of the training techniques that I have used on my own dog. Mind you, my dog is a happy, friendly, obedient, fun loving dog who I would never hurt in my life. He had surgery on one hip and both elbows and shoulders when he was younger to save his life from a grim end as well. I think she may be taking her frustration out on me just because she doesn't personally like me. But, I have nothing to do with the dog she adopted other than that I helped arrange the adoption.

Default Re: Someone is Slandering My Professional Reputation

So...this customer adopted the dog without having him checked out by a vet first, and now is essentially saying it's all your fault?

What sort of advice are you looking for, exactly?

I want to know if this is worthy of legal action because she is going out to professional work places and slandering my reputation.

Aside from being (justifiably) angry about it, what quantifiable damages have you suffered?

Clients dropping you? Significant amount of lost business? Booted out of or denied entrance into professional organizations?

It's not worth the legal fees unless you've suffered actual, monetary damages.

Consider consulting an attorney to have a cease and desist letter drawn up instead.

There is a possibility I may not be allowed to volunteer at my animal shelter anymore, I am in the process of researching exactly what was said and done there and what the effects on me will possibly be.

If they are not going to allow me to continue my work there, would it be worth any legal action? I volunteer there, so there wouldn't be any monetary losses, it would make it harder for me to continue giving back to my community.

I wouldn't think so, and with no actual damages to speak of, I'd be very surprised if you could find an attorney willing to take the case to begin with.

I dunno. Others who I talk to say I should take her to court for defamation of character.

Do let us know how that works out for you.

What, exactly, is she saying that is false or that isn't her opinion?

In any case, you cannot sue because something MIGHT happen in the future.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast