Cool F-1 Marriage to A U.S. Citizen

With my best wishes to everyone else here,

I got married to my sweetheart last month
    I left my school in another state to come and get married to her in hers.
    I have been out of status for around 40 days since I quit school mid way.
    We are now living together and have our names on most things (bills, lease, insurance etc.)
    Just wanted some information on what to do next (forms, fees etc.)

Default Re: F-1 Marriage to A U.S. Citizen

Check out this link on becoming a legal permanent resident (Green Card). After reading through this, you are welcome to ask some specific questions if you don't understand something.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

Quote Quoting mmadsen55
    View Post
    Check out this link on becoming a legal permanent resident (Green Card). After reading through this, you are welcome to ask some specific questions if you don't understand something.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD
    Dear Sir/s/Madam/s,

A quick feedback on the questions below would leave me much obliged

i) If I file the I-485 concurrently with the I-765 and the I-131, does that waive the fees for both the I-765 and the I-131?
    ii) I have an East Coast Drivers License but got married on the West Coast. Will that be an issue?
    iii) I have taken a look at the waiting period for the processing centers, and would like to know that if one gets married on the West Coast can one file their paper work in another center for example DC (seems to have much faster processing time)?
    iv) I entered the country as an international student but due to some problems with my international office was out of status for a 30 day period after the completion of my undergrad, will that be an issue?
    v)If I quit grad school while I am waiting for my Adjustment of Status (AOS), do I have to leave the country?

A hearty thanks to everyone in advance.

Quote Quoting formulaone
    View Post
    Dear Sir/s/Madam/s,

A quick feedback on the questions below would leave me much obliged

i) If I file the I-485 concurrently with the I-765 and the I-131, does that waive the fees for both the I-765 and the I-131?
    ii) I have an East Coast Drivers License but got married on the West Coast. Will that be an issue?
    iii) I have taken a look at the waiting period for the processing centers, and would like to know that if one gets married on the West Coast can one file their paper work in another center for example DC (seems to have much faster processing time)?
    iv) I entered the country as an international student but due to some problems with my international office was out of status for a 30 day period after the completion of my undergrad, will that be an issue?
    v)If I quit grad school while I am waiting for my Adjustment of Status (AOS), do I have to leave the country?

A hearty thanks to everyone in advance.
    I also forgot to ask,

vi) Once I have filed all my paperwork, can me and my spouse move out to a new address?
    vii) If the answer to question vi) is yes, then what is the process of accomplishing that?

Thank you once again in advance.

Each form has its own seperate fee and all must be paid even if you file all at the same time.

As long as your drivers license is still valid and your marriage license were obtained legally, then their should not be any issue with the two being from different states. However, during the process, the question may be asked why you got married in a different state than you live. I assume you have a good reason, but just be prepared to answer that.

You need to file the paperwork at the appropriate address based on where you reside today. It does not matter where you got married. You cannot chose your processing center, it is based on your current residence.

Generally, if no other legal issues arise, the overstay will not cause a problem while you are in an adjustment of status proceding based on marriage to a US citizen.

I would recommend you NOT leave the country until you are granted legal resident status. However, once you are in process of adjusting status, you can apply for what is called "application for travel documents" Form I-131, which will give you permition to re-enter if you leave before you get LPR stautus. If you do happen to leave before you get legal status or the proper re-entry documents, then your overstay will definately cause you problems.

Yes, you can move after you have sent in the applications. There are forms (AR-11) you can fill out to record your change of address. However, I would note that this forum contains comments about people who have moved, and lost paperwork and notices due to change of address situations. It is another complication, so if you can avoid it, that would be best.

The process can be somewhat complicated, so an attorney is always recommended. The information we give you here can only give you a good idea of how the process works, but not as comprehensive as an attorney would do. If money is a concern, try to contact some of your home coutry's local community organizations in your area and see if they can help.

Quote Quoting mmadsen55
    View Post
    Each form has its own seperate fee and all must be paid even if you file all at the same time.

As long as your drivers license is still valid and your marriage license were obtained legally, then their should not be any issue with the two being from different states. However, during the process, the question may be asked why you got married in a different state than you live. I assume you have a good reason, but just be prepared to answer that.

You need to file the paperwork at the appropriate address based on where you reside today. It does not matter where you got married. You cannot chose your processing center, it is based on your current residence.

Generally, if no other legal issues arise, the overstay will not cause a problem while you are in an adjustment of status proceding based on marriage to a US citizen.

I would recommend you NOT leave the country until you are granted legal resident status. However, once you are in process of adjusting status, you can apply for what is called "application for travel documents" Form I-131, which will give you permition to re-enter if you leave before you get LPR stautus. If you do happen to leave before you get legal status or the proper re-entry documents, then your overstay will definately cause you problems.

Yes, you can move after you have sent in the applications. There are forms (AR-11) you can fill out to record your change of address. However, I would note that this forum contains comments about people who have moved, and lost paperwork and notices due to change of address situations. It is another complication, so if you can avoid it, that would be best.

The process can be somewhat complicated, so an attorney is always recommended. The information we give you here can only give you a good idea of how the process works, but not as comprehensive as an attorney would do. If money is a concern, try to contact some of your home coutry's local community organizations in your area and see if they can help.
    On page 7 of the form instructions for I-485, it says "Effective July 30, 2007, if you file Form I-485 to adjust your status as a permanent resident, no additional fee is required to also file an application for employment authorization on Form I-765 and/or advance parole on Form I-131. You may file these forms concurrently."

Could you kindly interpret the meaning of that part in terms of its significance with the filing fees?

Thank you in advance.

I read your original post as filing the I130 Petition for alien relative and I485 together, which would have seperate fees.

I agree, according to the current wording, if you file the I485(with fees) and I765/I131 together after July 2007, you do not need to pay the fees for those forms.

Hello, My nephew is also facing the same kind of sitution...She is a f1 student.. She went to the school and she came to know the information provided by the school s false information. Meantime due to the emergency her funds got rotated and so she couldn’t able to pay for the school. She requested the school to provide the transfer for the time being to the cheapest school. The school refused to accept it. She got married with her fiyance who is a US citizen and they filled I-130, I-485 and I-765. Usics approved the petition, she cleared the biometric and she is final stage of GC interview.

Kindly let me what kind of possible questions she may get from the interviewer… Kindly share your views and suggestions and that is highly appreciated

Regards

golden flowers

Quote Quoting goldenflowers
    View Post
    Hello, My nephew is also facing the same kind of sitution...She is a f1 student.. She went to the school and she came to know the information provided by the school s false information. Meantime due to the emergency her funds got rotated and so she couldn’t able to pay for the school. She requested the school to provide the transfer for the time being to the cheapest school. The school refused to accept it. She got married with her fiyance who is a US citizen and they filled I-130, I-485 and I-765. Usics approved the petition, she cleared the biometric and she is final stage of GC interview.

Kindly let me what kind of possible questions she may get from the interviewer… Kindly share your views and suggestions and that is highly appreciated

Regards

golden flowers
    Hi,

Your niece appears to be doing great so far.
    I have not reached that part of the process yet.
    But the link below should provide helpful

http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/ad...interview.html

By the way, you can actually do us all a favor and share with us the questions that were asked at her interview.

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for the information. Surely will let you know the questions.

goldenflowers

1. Sponsored Links