Default Home Burglarized by Friends of My Friend

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Indiana

My home was recently broken into by friends of my friend. I am a college student and did not have renters insurance. I didn't even know it existed. I know for a fact that it was indeed the buddies of my friend. I even have a witness to seeing them around my place the day of the crime. They kicked in my door and took all of my valuables. There is a detective on the case but ofcourse they are dragging their feet on doing what's necessary to solve the case. My friend is even acting funny so. I'm starting to think he was involved. I just wanted to know if there was ANYTHING I could do in this situation for my benefit.

Default Re: Home Burglarized by Friends of My Friends

Contrary to what you see on TV, actual criminal cases don't get solved in 60 minutes. It takes time to interview witnesses, to check local pawn shops and other avenues to try to locate stolen property, to check out alibis and about a thousand other things. You knowing who did it and police being able to help a prosecutor PROVE who did it are VERY different things. Unless you are a detective, you really have no idea WHAT it takes to "solve" a case. Yours is also not the only case being worked by the department in general and the detective in particular. Keep in mind also that for the bang for the buck, they'll try for as many charges as they can, not JUST the break in to your place, but also for what they ultimately DID with what they stole or any other charges they might come up with. It's a process. It takes time. You've done your part by reporting what you know. There's not much for YOU to do now except be available and easy to reach should they have further questions. If they haven't already asked for them, try to find or gather receipts for as many of the stolen items as you can. See if you have pictures that might have any of the items in them. See if any receipts or warranties that might apply to any of your items have the item's serial numbers on them. These would all be things that MIGHT help to identify property they might locate as yours (and if they can show the value of the items, it might help them to charge the offense at a higher level if it meets the dollar value limits in your state). Make sure you make yourself copies of any paperwork you turn over, as you might not get it back for quite a while (not only during the investigation time, but if the case goes to trial too).

Quote Quoting THEAMAZINGCHAN
    View Post
    get new friends
    Agreed. How do you KNOW who did it? The proof you have, have you turned that over to the investigators?

Check the local pawn shops for your stuff.

Ok thanks a lot for the info. I've already done all of that tho. Is there a wayi can sue for the price of my stolen property in civil court or something like that??

Sure you can. You still have to prove it though. Not beyond a reasonable doubt, like in a criminal court. Rather, by a preponderance of the evidence. The burden would be on you. Haven't really seen anything close to that kind of proof in your post. All I see is your suspicion.

1. Sponsored Links