Default Avoiding an Insurance Increase After a Speeding Ticket

My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: Washington

I was caught going ~13 over the 35 mph limit in a well known speed trap. This is my first infraction of any sort and I'm a bit confused as to what to do next. I didn't look at my speed in that section, but chances are that I did go over. Is there a way to keep my insurence from going up/the ticket off my record? I did look at similar threads, but they just added to my confusion...

I am going to start college in a few days and won't have too much free time if this involves multiple trips to a courtroom. If I can keep my parents out of the loop that would be a bonus, meaning nothing in the mail... But if that can't be done then it can't be done.

Sorry if this is a repeated question, but I really am confused and a little panicky about what to do next...

Default Re: Confused, Just Received a Speeding Ticket in King County Washington

The King County District Court website has some useful information. Look at the section on "Deferred Findings". That will keep the ticket off your record (although it will still cost you $150). You can do this by mail -- there's a link on the right hand side of the page to a "Defendant's Statement". Fill that out, stating that you'd like the court to "defer findings". Call the Clerk of the Court of whichever branch is on your ticket to be sure you've got their address and mail it Certified-Return Receipt Requested.

As far as your parents are concerned, as the father of five, I can say that I think it's best if you told them about it. You can also tell them that you're pursuing a deferral, which will keep it off your record (and the insurance companies from finding out about it) and that you've learned a valuable lesson. But, that's just an old man's advice.

Barry
    Where am I going? And why am I in this handbasket?

Default Re: Avoiding an Insurance Increase After a Speeding Ticket

Just making sure I do it correctly, in the big blank space all I write is "I would like a deferral please." or is there some legalese way of asking for one? It's not a very helpful sheet of paper. What else should I be writing on the defendants statement?

Also, when I do mail it, do I just put the check in the envelope or do I mail it at a later date?

Sorry if I just overlooked the answer, I'm kinda new at this.

Default Re: Avoiding an Insurance Increase After a Speeding Ticket

Bump

I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly before I send it off...

1. Sponsored Links