Default Employment Application in Texas

My question involves a background check in the State of: TX

Earlier this year I was turned down for a job due to a class B misdemeanor for writting a bad check in 2007. I have since then gone to court, & am currently on probation. According to a background check that I just ran, my offense is "deferred". What does that mean? What are the chances of me getting hired?

Applications are asking if I've ever been convicted to a crime. How am I to answer that?

Thanks for you help

Daddysgirl in TX

Default Re: Employment Application in Texas

Texas - Even after you complete a deferred program, the charge can still show up on your "criminal history", it just won't be a conviction. So if the company cares to look, they will see exactly what happened with your criminal charge. It depends on how thorough of a background the employer does - some do a more thorough one that others.

You answer the questions on the application truthfully.

Thank you. If it doesn't show up as a "conviction" than I can answer "NO" to that question. I guess the biggest thing is to really pay attention to the wording.

I am sure with the way the economy is now, employers are going to do a very through background check on all candidates.

Thank your for your response.

This is what I was able to find out yesterday when I ran a background check on myself.

Agency Case Number:
    Statute: THEFT PROP OVER $20 UNDER $500 BY CHECK
    Degree: MISDEMEANOR - CLASS B
    Date Committed: 09/18/2007
    Offense Description: DEFERRED
    Date: 04/07/2009

Now, here is what the application that I have to fill out for an interview that I have on Monday is asking. Do I need to check "YES" or "NO"?

During the past ten years, have you ever been convicted of, plead guilty to, or received probation, deferred adjudication, or any other type of alternative method of supervision or correction for a misdemeanor, having a penalty of
    imprisonment or a fine of more than $500, or a felony?

It seems to me at least one of the above does apply to you within the past 10 years. They will most likely pick it up on a background check if they do one. It's better to be truthful up front.

1. Sponsored Links