Default Using Dogs to Deter Trespassing or Breaking and Entering

SC

About a month ago, our back yard and one of our buildings were broken into. Becuase we don't know the exact contents of the building we're not sure anything was taken. The fence and lock though, were messed up and part of the fence and the entire lock had to be replaced. A few days after the incident two trucks with young boys stopped right in front of the gate and stared until my sister went outside, then they sped up and left. A week ago, one of my dogs began whining because his eye was messed up. My mom took him to the vet and someone had sprayed mace in his eyes! To begin with, thats animal cruelty! But that's not what this is about. Our dogs are all chows. (Known for their bad tempers and aggressive behavior) If this person breaks into our backyard again while they're back there, I can't be sure I can get the dogs away from them. And if I can't, I'm fairly certain the perps will be severely mangled. I've got a pretty good idea of who it is in my neighborhood. Is there anything I can do to warn them or their parents of what will happen if this occurs again? Is their an eloquent way of saying it or will I need to pursue legal action? In Pickens County, if our dogs attack someone in our back yard, it is considered our fault and the animals will be put down.

Oh, I forgot to mention. In the building behind my house we have a 1969 Boss, in the garage a priceless mustang. We can't afford for either of these to be stolen or messed up because of some idiot kid.

Default Re: Trespassing/Breaking and Entering

Quote Quoting shelbydakota
    View Post

Oh, I forgot to mention. In the building behind my house we have a 1969 Boss, in the garage a priceless mustang. We can't afford for either of these to be stolen or messed up because of some idiot kid.
    well, surely not priceless. A recent sale of a 1970 Boss mustang at $49,500 would actually show that your car is not exceptionally valuable at all in fact but that is not really the point.

what you do is:

buy insurance, both for the property and a lot of liability insurance for when your dog eats somebody. You may have trouble procuring liability insurance since Chows are accepted as an aggressive breed. As a result, some insurance companies will not cover injuries cause by them under a basic homeowners liability policy.

No, you misunderstand. In the building there is a 1969 Boss. In the garage there is a 1970 Supercobra. One of 2 left. My stepdad procured it some years ago while working at Ford up in Detroit. There are pictures and his name on the web. Its not a measly 49,000 we'd be losing. But more so in the neighborhood of 250,000. We should not be responsible for someone breaking into our backyard, house, or buildings if they get attacked by our dogs. They are breaking the law. Not us. This is private owned property we're talking about not public. There's also two harleys, a go cart, harley trailer and several other things of that nature in our yard/buildings. We also have up "beware of dog" signs.

I'd recommend that you install a perimeter alarm system to warn you of intruders. Cameras also, to record who the intruders are. With property that valuable, you might also consider whether the buildings themselves are secure enough. Unfortunately, it costs us money to protect our assets.

If you start pitching your dogs as so dangerous and easily provoked that they might maul a trespasser, and that you might be helpless to stop such an attack, you had best consider the consequences of that. First, absent postings about your dangerous dogs, they might be deemed a hidden or concealed danger such that you could be liable for their attack on a trespasser. Second, with such postings, such a claim could put the cost of your liability insurance through the roof as you're effectively giving away the farm in the event that they bite somebody who has permission to be on your land - your stating that know your dogs have a propensity for extremely vicious, unprovoked attacks. You're also putting the dogs in danger if they bite somebody as, in the event of an attack, animal control is much more likely to treat them as vicious dogs that pose an unreasonable danger to others, as opposed to treating them as pets that made what might be an anomalous attack on a trespasser.

The place to start truly is with your insurance company - both in terms of making sure you have adequate coverage for your property and, if you're going to stick with the "attack dog" idea, that you have adequate liability insurance for dog bites.

shelbydakota;351568]No, you misunderstand. In the building there is a 1969 Boss. In the garage there is a 1970 Supercobra. One of 2 left. My stepdad procured it some years ago while working at Ford up in Detroit. There are pictures and his name on the web. Its not a measly 49,000 we'd be losing. But more so in the neighborhood of 250,000. We should not be responsible for someone breaking into our backyard, house, or buildings if they get attacked by our dogs. They are breaking the law. Not us. This is private owned property we're talking about not public. There's also two harleys, a go cart, harley trailer and several other things of that nature in our yard/buildings. We also have up "beware of dog" signs.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's funny. There was one sold at auction back in May of this year (a red one) and there is another one scheduled to be sold this October (a yellow one) and then there is a black one floating around and one that sold recently that was in the midst of a restoration. and then there was an orange one that had an asking price of $100k.

dang, here is one on eBay right now for a "buy it now" price of $120k.

Not trying to say it is worthless but definitely not what you are expecting.

and all of the above listed items are the reason you buy insurance.

Default Re: Using Dogs to Deter Trespassing or Breaking and Entering

They are also the reason you put in the security measures that precious items require.

Yes, you should be able to park it on the street with the keys in it... but let's talk reality.

You need to come up with a way to pay for proper security... or to sell the assets before they are stolen from you. Even the insurance carrier will ask where and how the assets are protected.

And a shed and a Yale padlock isn't going to make them very happy.

Default Re: Using Dogs to Deter Trespassing or Breaking and Entering

I know this was posted a while back, however I would like to still make a statement.

I am a Nationally Certified Dog Trainer. I read everything stated.

As I am not a lawyer in your state nor have I ever had a problem with an aggressive dog in your state either However in every other state I have worked in this is how it has always been.

Yes I agree get insurance however this is ONLY IF THE PEOPLE COMMITING CRIMES ARE UNDER 18 years of age!!! It is a bit costly but honestly it is worth it if a teen comes on your property and the dumb parents want to come after you for there childs faults. Unfortually parents out there will sue for anything today even when their child jumped a fence broke into your home and was attacked by your dog protecting your property. Well if there damn child wasnt on my property comitting a crime their child wouldnt have been bit by my guard dog know would they. Simple Solution Stay off the property dont committ the crime you wont do the time. Be it being attacked by my dog or going to jail either way the person the person paid a price for comitting a crime. LOL just the way I look at life. Why I live in Arizona...

HOWEVER

If you post No Trespassing Private Property with Guard Dogs signs all over your property and the person NO MATTER the age of the person committing the Breaking and entering of your residence for the intention of committing a crime still comits the crime and your dogs attack while on your property you should be safe. Also, your dogs have every right to protect yours and their property. This is called, Canine instinctual behavior. Dogs are naturally territorial animals, and will protect their territory just as any other animal would. Chows where raised originally to hunting and guard. In China this was what this breed was bred to be use for. So it is in there characteristic traits as a dog. I own German Sheperds and Rottwielers other dogs that are VERY territorial and propective.

You cannot take any of these natural instinctual behavior away from a dog. That innate (inborn) characteristic trait is past down from all Canine’s (dogs) ancestors (The Wolves). An organism, such as a dog, is born with the potential to behave in a certain way. There is no way to change a trait that is an inherited trait. There is no difference in humans with our Hereditary Factors and Recessive genes that been pasted through Genetics. It is the same for all dogs.

If anyone would like to argue my facts about Canines, and how the inherited traits work, please do. I am always up for the challenge of a good debt when it comes to Canines. I have been a Nationally Certified Dog Trainer for a while, I did go to school, and I am very proud of my degrees I carry in Canine Behavior.

1. Sponsored Links