Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can Friend of the Court Make Me Move if I Move Away from the Support Payer

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Michigan

My daughter's father and I were never married. I have full custody and we have a child time agreement. He sees her every other weekend from 5pm Friday to 5pm Sunday. He also gets her Wednesdays 5:30pm to 7:30pm and a few other holiday deals.

Question Can Friend of the Court Make Me Move if I Move Away from the Support Payer

My daughter's father and I were never married. I have full custody and we have a child time agreement. He sees her every other weekend from 5pm Friday to 5pm Sunday. He also gets her Wednesdays 5:30pm to 7:30pm. He is suppose to pick her up Friday and I am to pick her up Sunday.
    Since we had mediation and set this up I have moved 87 miles away. We have made it work with meeting half way at 7pm so its reasonable for both of us. And he just gave up his Wednesdays because it was impossible.
    I am now going to be moving to the U.P. I will be 481 miles away now. In the court papers I have it says I may not leave the state of Michigan without going to court. Is there anything he can do to stop me from making this move? Once I move can the courts make me move back?

Default Re: Can F.o.t.c. Make Me Move if I Move Away from the Support Payer

Quote Quoting allysonmarie123
    View Post

My daughter's father and I were never married. I have full custody and we have a child time agreement. He sees her every other weekend from 5pm Friday to 5pm Sunday. He also gets her Wednesdays 5:30pm to 7:30pm and a few other holiday deals.
    "Support Payer"? Do you mean the child's FATHER? No. They can't make YOU move back...But the child could be ordered back.You are required by state law to either have the NCP's written permission, or the courts consent to move the child out of jurisdiction.

I hit enter by mistake on this its only part. My our paperwork says that I can't move out of the State without permission. I am already 87.2 miles away

Quote Quoting allysonmarie123
    View Post
    I hit enter by mistake on this its only part. My our paperwork says that I can't move out of the State without permission. I am already 87.2 miles away
    If the court ORDER says you need permission from the FATHER and or the COURT, then that is what you need to do. And yes...They can FORCE the return of the child.

Violating this order will place your primary custody in jeopardy. Along with your obvious disdain of the father by referring to him as "support payer". That has go to be one of the most repellent terms I have seen posted here.

I'm sorry you don't like that term gosh. I was just trying to sum up the question in one line instead of saying the parent that has no custody but pays child support. I'm pretty sure I referred to him as the father in the post. We get along I didn't mean it like sperm donor I think that's a lot worse. I put that on here to get my question answered not to be attacked.

Quote Quoting Baystategirl
    View Post
    If the court ORDER says you need permission from the FATHER and or the COURT, then that is what you need to do. And yes...They can FORCE the return of the child.

Violating this order will place your primary custody in jeopardy. Along with your obvious disdain of the father by referring to him as "support payer". That has go to be one of the most repellent terms I have seen posted here.

Well that's if I move out of state and I'm not so I guess I'm fine.

Is there anything he can do to stop me from making this move? Once I move can the courts make me move back?
    no but the courts can prevent you from taking the child that far away. Even without that, they can require you to bear the additional costs and logistical problems caused by your move.

It's up to the courts.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    no but the courts can prevent you from taking the child that far away. Even without that, they can require you to bear the additional costs and logistical problems caused by your move.

It's up to the courts.
    Ok thanks so much

Baystategirl, the claim is that the judgment limits only moves to other states, while the proposed move is in-state (to the "upper peninsula").

allysonmarie123, you sure you're not covered by the 100 mile move-away rule, MCL 722.31?

I'm pretty sure. I know I've heard that after 2004 that was suppose to be the rule and my daughter was born in 2005. But in our paperwork it says I can't move out of state. I was worried that if this is just an error that they can make me come back. I did call my child time mediator and she said that it says nothing in the our order about 100 miles. We will probably end up having to have another mediation I'm assuming since every other weekend is not feasible anymore.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast