Default Landlord Holding Money from Refundable Deposit

When we moved in to our place last year, we paid $250 non-refundable deposit for cleaning carpets and blinds. (The carpets had apparently been cleaned, but they only had a minimal "light cleaning" and appeared to be only vacuumed). When we moved out, an additional $150 was withheld from our refundable deposit to cover the cost of carpet and blinds. The landlord states that she doesn't know who came up with such a low estimate but a place that big (1100 sq ft) should cost more than $250. The place as we left it was impeccable (and she agrees). There was no damage done at all. If a tenant puts down a non-refundable deposit for any cleaning and the cleaning costs less, the landlord keeps the rest. If they ask for $250 for carpets and blinds (with no damage - just needed cleaning), isn't their problem if it costs more?
    Also, is general cleaning of a carpet and dusty blinds part of normal wear and tear?
    State - WA

Default Re: Landlord Holding Money from Refundable Deposit

The landlord can charge the cleaning fee under RCW 59.18.285 and RCW 59.18.253. The landlord has no other right to charge a tenant for ordinary cleaning. (Sometimes the premises, or parts thereof, can be so dirty that it constitutes damage, but that's not what we're talking about here.)

That didn't answer the question.
    RCW ... 253 is in reference to deposits and fees charged to hold a place prior to move in - we have moved out.
    RCW ...285 refers to the landlord's right to charge a cleaning fee. They charged a $250 non-refundable fee when we moved in for the sole purpose of cleaning the carpets and blinds. Now, upon move out, they are withholding an additional $150 from our REFUNDABLE SECURITY deposit because "someone mis-estimated the cost of the cleaning a year ago and it should cost more."
    I am not questioning the non-refundable cleaning fee, just the withholding extra from our refundable deposit at move out when the $250 was meant to cover the carpet and blind cleaning. If they mis-estimated, that is not our fault, we already paid what they asked at move-in to cover the cost of carpet and blind cleaning. So my question is only in regards to the $150 they have withheld from our refundable security deposit.

Your question was answered. Read it again.

Default Re: Landlord Holding Money from Security Deposit

Can you please help me? I have rented an apartment for 6 years in the state of IL and cleaned my carpets on my own at least 3 times of living there and then when I moved out I had carpets cleaned as well.

I had no damages to the carpeting, no small childern, not a smoker, and owned not pets. During my walk through with the landlord he did not mention any problems with the carpeting and advised I would recieve my full deposit.

However, when I received my deposit it was short $200 for carpet cleaning services. (only 2 rooms had carpeting) Is it legal for the landlord to take $200 for cleaning services?

1. Sponsored Links