Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How to Check For Your Name in the National Retail Theft Database

does anyone know if its possible to check if you are listed, or what companies use this...i know its kept pretty secret but figured someone has to know something

Default Re: National Retail Theft Database

I just found out about this too...the companies who take your information (the one you stole from e.g. macy's or w/e) aren't supposed to divulge your information even to a "private site" that shares information between "members." Anyone can become a member just by paying $25. I don't see how this is lawful. However, I don't know much about it...so yea. However the database cross reference three parts of your identity (name, DOB, and SSN) before turning up your info, so if you didn't give all three of these info's you shouldn't be able to be found.

Edit: I apologize, this post is misleading. What i meant that it isn't lawful for this site to have information like this available to basically anyone if these records were sealed/expunged by the state.

Quote Quoting niu
    View Post
    I just found out about this too...the companies who take your information (the one you stole from e.g. macy's or w/e) aren't supposed to divulge your information even to a "private site" that shares information between "members." Anyone can become a member just by paying $25. I don't see how this is lawful. However, I don't know much about it...so yea. However the database cross reference three parts of your identity (name, DOB, and SSN) before turning up your info, so if you didn't give all three of these info's you shouldn't be able to be found.
    You are offered no protection against being placed in the database.

Not only did you forfeit that protection when you stole from them, but that paper you signed when brought into the back office gave the store that permission.

Why wouldn't a group of victims banding together to protect themselves from thieves be legal?

The data base uses many parts of your identity... I certainly wouldn't plan on being golden because you didn't use one.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post

Not only did you forfeit that protection when you stole from them, but that paper you signed when brought into the back office gave the store that permission.

Why wouldn't a group of victims banding together to protect themselves from thieves be legal?

The data base uses many parts of your identity... I certainly wouldn't plan on being golden because you didn't use one.

Look, there's no need to be hostile. Once the records for the shoplifting cases are sealed or expunged they also need to be removed from this database, is that not true?

If this database is not updated regularly (which might very well be the case), this will seriously and negatively affect the lives of people who have paid the money, and gone through the hardships of getting their records sealed/expunged. In this instance, it would be unfair to the people who i am talking about. That's the only point I'm trying to make. For the people who still have their shoplifting/retail fraud cases on file, anyone can get access to that, not just through this database.

Quote Quoting niu
    View Post
    Look, there's no need to be hostile. Once the records for the shoplifting cases are sealed or expunged they also need to be removed from this database, is that not true?
    Not hostile at all. I am just not going to let you paint yourself as the victim here.

Not true at all.

The cases are expunged or sealed from government records... these are private records.

No different than the retailer putting up your picture next to the register.

If this database is not updated regularly (which might very well be the case), this will seriously and negatively affect the lives of people who have paid the money, and gone through the hardships of getting their records sealed/expunged
    Retailers lose in the neighborhood of fifteen BILLION dollars a year from theft. Most of that theft is committed by employees.

Why wouldn't a retailer want to protect themselves that has already shown a willingness to steal?

They are not preventing you from getting a job... they are just making sure that members know what you are capable of.

In this instance, it would be unfair to the people who i am talking about.
    Think of how unfair stealing is to the victim.

That's the only point I'm trying to make. For the people who still have their shoplifting/retail fraud cases on file, anyone can get access to that, not just through this database.
    True.

We hear this a lot. Yes, I committed a crime but I don't want employers or others finding out about it.

Let me ask you this. Why should your application be held to the same standard as another applicant that hasn't stolen?

Besides, this is all moot. You said they could when you signed on that dotted line.

No takesy backsies.

Quote Quoting niu
    View Post

Edit: I apologize, this post is misleading. What i meant that it isn't lawful for this site to have information like this available to basically anyone if these records were sealed/expunged by the state.

Can you post the link to their website?

Quote Quoting Willys
    View Post
    Can you post the link to their website?
    The National Theft Database does not say who has been and who has not been placed upon it because then you would know whom subscribes.

This information is a closely held secret... because the retailers don't want nonmembers being targeted by thieves... for either snatch or employee theft.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post

LISTEN...I DID NOT STEAL ANYTHING FROM THE STORE....i ripped a tag off and brought it to the register...i could have ripped every tag off in that store and brought it to the register that is not illegal...the LP had no probable cause...I didnt steal anything, I was pushed into the back by LP and threatened if I didnt sign anything the cops would be called...I was never in this situation and thought i did something wrong so when i was told the information went nowhere but in the store, i was happy to get out of there as quick as possible...then i got a civil demand and paid that bc i didnt want any problems..then i go for a job and got a background check and it says i stole 30 dollars worth of merchandise for switching tags...guess what...i never even got a chance to pull my wallet out and pay for anything..the tag was in the box, not attached to anything..i was going to ask them why the price was different...sure i could have done it a different way....but since when does a free floating tag mean anything??? so an honest mistake is going to ruin my chances of getting a job in the future? absolutely ridiculous

Quote Quoting cammo
    View Post
    LISTEN...I DID NOT STEAL ANYTHING FROM THE STORE....i ripped a tag off and brought it to the register...i could have ripped every tag off in that store and brought it to the register that is not illegal...
    You aren't listening.

The act of ripping a tag off one item and presenting it as the price tag to a second item... even if YOU believe they are the same item... is theft.

Repeat, it is theft. Repeat, there is no doubt that it is theft. Repeat, you stole.

the LP had no probable cause...I didnt steal anything,
    See above.

I was pushed into the back by LP and threatened if I didnt sign anything the cops would be called...I was never in this situation and thought i did something wrong
    So we are in agreement, then.

A better statement would be that you didn't KNOW it was stealing. Doesn't change anything,though.

so when i was told the information went nowhere but in the store, i was happy to get out of there as quick as possible...
    And here is where we go over what you signed.

then i got a civil demand and paid that bc i didnt want any problems.
    And because the piece of paper you signed said you admitted guilt and would pay it.

then i go for a job and got a background check and it says i stole 30 dollars worth of merchandise for switching tags...guess what...i never even got a chance to pull my wallet out and pay for anything..the tag was in the box, not attached to anything.
    They don't have to give you the option to make the theft right.

i was going to ask them why the price was different...sure i could have done it a different way....but since when does a free floating tag mean anything??? so an honest mistake is going to ruin my chances of getting a job in the future? absolutely ridiculous
    An honest mistake, maybe.

Where you admitted to the theft in writing, definitely.

If you ever bother to give me your state, I will quote the law for you.

NJ...heres my question...so i take the tag off and put in in the box, which still has the original price attached to the other pair of shoes...how is that representing it as another price if it still has the original tag on it...i was going to ask why the difference in price...i didnt take the tag off the other pair...both prices were there and i wanted to know what the difference was, however i never got a chance to speak and i was made to feel like a criminal

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast