Default Buying Property With Deceased Owner, Intestate, Estate Was Never Probated

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: Arkansas
    My dad inherited some land in Arkansas that is rural. He would like to buy the property that triangles into his land.

The single mother of the property died in 1981. She had 4 surviving kids. One of the surviving kids has been paying taxes on property since 1981. We tracked him down in another state. He and the other 2 sisters are willing to sell. The 4th sibling he said had died in California and apparently had been estranged from the family. He doesn't know anything about surviving kids, etc

There was no will and no probate ever done. She owned it free and clear. The actual evaluation by the county for the land now is 1200.00, But my father is willing to pay more than appraised because it comes close to his house. .

So what can be done in this situation that is not going to cost way more than the land is worth.

Default Re: Buying Property With Deceased Owner, Intestate, Estate Was Never Probated

The land is worth only $1,200? I doubt there's a way to do this for less than the near-worthless land is worth. If the decedent's estate was never probated and the property remains in her name, it should be possible to probate the estate and either buy the land from the estate or heirs, but you'll be lucky to find a way to do that for less than $1,200.

1. Sponsored Links