Default Wokrers Comp Benefits After Getting Hurt at Work

This situation occurred in Florida. I've recently started a new job and am still of probation for another 6 months and therefore do not have insurance yet. While at work, I was injured what I thought was my wrist while lifting some heavy product. I didn't think it was a big issue, just uncomfortable, was still able to work and went on with my day. A few days later, the pain was worse and I was beginning to notice limited mobility in my hand. I then reported the situation to my supervisor who told me there was nothing to do since it hadn't been reported the day ore time of the incident. I continued to work for several weeks using that hand less and less until I began to feel I really needed to see a doctor. It turns out, I fractured my forearm. While discussing the incident with the doctor and explaining that I didn't have insurance he advised me to file a workman's comp claim anyway. Can I do this? Is the employer still responsible even though an incident report was never filed? Do I have any legal standing where this is concerned? Any advice regarding this matter is greatly appreciated. I'm clueless as to what avenue to take.

Thank you,
    Curious

Default Re: Hurt at Work

You should report it as soon as possible but no later than thirty (30) days or your claim may be denied.

Reference: Section 440.185, Florida Statutes

Your employer should report the injury as soon as possible, but no later than seven (7) days after their knowledge. The insurance company must send you an informational brochure within three (3) days after receiving notice from your employer. The brochure will explain your rights and responsibilities, as well as provide additional information about the workers' compensation law. A copy of the brochure can be viewed on this website under “Publications”.

Reference: Section 440.185 , Florida Statutes

Default Re: Hurt at Work

Thank you very much!

1. Sponsored Links