Default Landlord Taking Too Much Money Out of Security Deposit

My question involves a security deposit in the State of: Washington

I rented a room in my friend's house and lived there for almost 2 years. I moved out, gave him a 20 day notice (which was required per the rental agreement I signed). I had carpet washed the room, sprayed off the screen with water (quite a bit of dust had collected on it), and cleaned stains off the walls. He is taking $150 out of my deposit for these reasons: dust balls left, windows not clean, trash left in closet, dirty closet shelves, stain on carpet, ceiling and wall corners not clean. I had called him the day after I had cleaned the room to talk to him about my deposit, he had told me all this stuff I had not cleaned and said he was charging me $150 to clean it. I will admit I did not wipe down the window sill or wipe down the closet shelves(there was dust on them), the "trash" that he is saying I left in the closet is 3 coat hangers, and a little tranquility fountain which is his to begin with. When he first told me (over the phone) that he was charging me $150 I told him that was unfair and he agreed and said it would only be $40 at most and the reason he was charging me $150 was basically out of spite. I would just like some insight or advice if there is anything I can do to dispute these charges.

Default Re: Landlord Taking Too Much Money Out of Security Deposit

You can dispute the charges in small claims court.

1. Sponsored Links