Default Probation, Tickets in Different States, Court Date After Probation is Over

My question involves a traffic accident in the State of: New Jersey

I have a slightly complex question regarding a driving probation and tickets in multiple states.

In spring of 2007, I received my first speeding ticket in Tennessee, though I am considered a resident of North Carolina. I was going 87 in a 70 zone. I paid the ticket promptly and heard nothing more of it until over a year later, in summer of 2008, when I received a notice in the mail that my license was going to be revoked for a month for this single speeding violation.

Naturally I thought this was ridiculous, so I fought it in the state of North Carolina. I had a hearing where it was decided that I could keep my license, under the conditions of being on probation for a year. During this time I was not allowed to get 3 or more points on my license, or I would lose it for a month as originally intended.

I got one stupid speeding ticket later that summer, which was 2 points, and I paid it without contesting.

Now I'm living in New Jersey, and my probation was to end in August. Just a couple of weeks before the end of my probation, I got in a minor accident of which I was the guilty party. It was a "fail to yield" which would bump my points above 3.

So, here's my question:

My court date isn't until after the probation is over, but the violation date was before. Am I likely to lose my license? I'm also not sure whether it makes a difference that this violation occurred in New Jersey, rather than North Carolina where my probation was assigned.

(It seems like it might make a difference, because it is considerably harder to avoid accidents in New Jersey than it is in North Carolina.)

Additionally: I looked into fighting this ticket, and it seemed that my only option was to have it reduced to "unsafe driving" which in New Jersey carries no points. HOWEVER, there is no direct analogue to "unsafe driving" in North Carolina - the closest thing is "reckless driving" which carries even more points. I was advised not to pursue this route due to the chance that NC would simply categorize this ticket as "reckless driving" and assign me additional points.

Default Re: Probation, Tickets in Different States, Court Date After Probation is Over

If the terms of the probation are specifically "Not more than three points," and the ticket is resolved after your discharge date, you'll probably make it.

1. Sponsored Links