Default Extensions for Temporary Registration Stickers

As a note, the temporary registration stickers now cost about $50, I believe, and they will only be issued for a single period (60 days, as i recall ... my notice from the DMV is at the office). It's no longer easy to get extensions, and the temporary sticker is no longer free.

Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Default Re: Can a 4000a1vc Be Corrected

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    As a note, the temporary registration stickers now cost about $50, I believe, and they will only be issued for a single period (60 days, as i recall ... my notice from the DMV is at the office). It's no longer easy to get extensions, and the temporary sticker is no longer free.

Carl
    WOW... I did not know that. Thank you Carl for the information!!!

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    WOW... I did not know that. Thank you Carl for the information!!!
    The change came about January 1st and you can see them on cars now ... the red stickers have a year tab on them and a watermark. The tab is also registered and can be run through the DMV to determine the sticker and the vehicle it is registered to. Apparently they had a lot of fraud when the previous ones were on notepads, and, there was really no way to verify when/if they were legitimately issued since all writing was done by hand on the old ones, and there issuance was not registered in CLETS.

From the original memo from DMV (I have a copy on my computer at home):

Changes were made to the Temporary Operating Permit increasing the size to 7” X 5 1/2”. A silver colored sticker was added to the bottom right corner of the permit. Please see attached example.

The operator of a vehicle displaying a Temporary Operating Permit must be prepared to present documentation to law enforcement supporting the temporary status.

The memo does not indicate that the 30-90 day delay has changed, but i recall seeing that in a subsequent memo ... maybe not. All previous stickers became invalid on 3/31/09.

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    The change came about January 1st and you can see them on cars now ... the red stickers have a year tab on them and a watermark. The tab is also registered and can be run through the DMV to determine the sticker and the vehicle it is registered to. Apparently they had a lot of fraud when the previous ones were on notepads, and, there was really no way to verify when/if they were legitimately issued since all writing was done by hand on the old ones, and there issuance was not registered in CLETS.

From the original memo from DMV (I have a copy on my computer at home):
    Changes were made to the Temporary Operating Permit increasing the size to 7 X 5 1/2. A silver colored sticker was added to the bottom right corner of the permit. Please see attached example.

The operator of a vehicle displaying a Temporary Operating Permit must be prepared to present documentation to law enforcement supporting the temporary status.
    The memo does not indicate that the 30-90 day delay has changed, but i recall seeing that in a subsequent memo ... maybe not. All previous stickers became invalid on 3/31/09.

- Carl
    I now see it under "New Laws for 2009" on the DMV website:

Temporary Operating Permits (AB2241/Saldana)

This law restricts DMV from issuing temporary operating permits to allow more time to obtain a smog certificate as part of the registration renewal process. Under the law, extensions will cost $50 and are only allowed if the vehicle has been tested at a smog station and failed. The extension can be for no more than 60 days from the date registration is due. The $50 fee will be waived for owners accepted into the Bureau of Automotive Repair Consumer Assistance Program (CAP).
    Thanks again, Carl, for the information.

Default Re: Can a CVC 4000a1 Violation Be Corrected

I was at the palm springs dmv today & the clerk told me the extensions are a one time thing & good for 60 days. After 60 days you're out of luck. The state never charged for the extensions but thanks to abuse & a greedy legislature thats all changed. Fifty dollars is alot to many people including me. I took my car (85 olds) off a non op after 5 yrs & later today im going for a test only smog test. The dmv issued me 2 one day moving permits (9/11 & 9/14). If i pass smog ill use the 2nd permit to drive to the dmv to get my 2010 tag. If i fail smog ill cry a lil & then go to the dmv to buy a 60 day temporary operating permit. I dont trust test/repair smog stations cause they have much more of a incentive to fail you. I have been burned before in 1997. Since then i have only gone to test only smog stations ( i had a 90 ford from 7/02-8/09).

Default Re: Extensions for Temporary Registration Stickers

I passed smog yesterday & on my way home i got stopped by a cop. I showed him all my paperwork (1 day moving permit, valid insurance, smog results & drivers license) & he looked disappointed. He did look at the passenger side crack on my windshield & then left. If i didnt need a car to work then i would do without it.

1. Sponsored Links