Arrow Am I Eligible for U.C. Benefits if Was I Terminated from My Job

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: floridai was terminated from my job of 31/2 years and i have filed for my u.c. benefits.my claim is currently under adjudication.my supervisor told me i just wasn't working out and that i had left early the previous day.truth is,i didn't leave work early.i had left work more than an hour late and even had got a ride home in the company van.the van couldn't be used without the supervisor's permission. so i was wondering if this was a wrongful termination or do i need to get an attorney or what?

Default Re: Am I Eligible for U.C. Benefits if Was I Terminated from My Job

We don't have enough information.

What was the reason given for your termination?

Quote Quoting PattyPA
    View Post
    We don't have enough information.

What was the reason given for your termination?
    the supervisor said iwasn't working out and that i had left work early.actually i had left work more than an hour late and had gotten a ride home in the company van which couldn't be used without the supervisor's permission

It is not a "wrongful termination" under the law. That doesn't mean UI will be denied; they are two separate sets of criteria. You'll just have to wait to get the determination.

Quote Quoting PattyPA
    View Post
    It is not a "wrongful termination" under the law. That doesn't mean UI will be denied; they are two separate sets of criteria. You'll just have to wait to get the determination.
    does a company have the right to ignore their own policy when it comes to something like this?usually employees would get written up first,then suspension for a 3 days or so and after that one would be fired.i was written up once months before and the second step was totally ignored.if needed,should this be mentioned in an appeal?

Quote Quoting rekabsullett
    View Post
    does a company have the right to ignore their own policy when it comes to something like this?usually employees would get written up first,then suspension for a 3 days or so and after that one would be fired.i was written up once months before and the second step was totally ignored.if needed,should this be mentioned in an appeal?
    Yes, they do. They may skip one or multiple steps at any time. Company policies almost never rise to the level of a contract. You aren't a union member, are you?

View Post
    My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: floridai was terminated from my job of 31/2 years and i have filed for my u.c. benefits.my claim is currently under adjudication.my supervisor told me i just wasn't working out and that i had left early the previous day.truth is,i didn't leave work early.i had left work more than an hour late and even had got a ride home in the company van.the van couldn't be used without the supervisor's permission. so i was wondering if this was a wrongful termination or do i need to get an attorney or what?
    no.the job was not unionized.fla sucks like that.

that stuff was all in the employees' handbook.

A wrongful termination means that there was a specific law that was violated by your termination. What law do you think was violated?

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    A wrongful termination means that there was a specific law that was violated by your termination. What law do you think was violated?
    i guess none were violated.the reason i thought that it was a wrongful termination was because they didn't follow their handbook...

View Post
    i guess none were violated.the reason i thought that it was a wrongful termination was because they didn't follow their handbook...
    i violated none of the rules in the employee handbook to get discharged.i feel that the company violated their own rules in the way i was discharged.i've seen different employees get written up multiple times and not get fired.i've seen employees get multiple suspensions and not get fired as well.

Failure to follow the handbook does not create a wrongful term. It may well make you eligible for unemployment, but that's a whole different circus. The critera are different and different agencies address them.

1. Sponsored Links