Default Can a Person Contest and Defer a Speeding Ticket in Washington State

Yesterday I got into a small accident with NOBODY around. I came up to a stop light at around 2 AM. I came to a COMPLETE STOP, then went into my left turn. I drive a 300zx, which is rwd and pretty light, so it is really easy to slide with it, but I still haven't ever slid before. After I came out of the turn (going about 12 mph), my car was still turning, I went to give it some gas to straighten it out, but the car turned around the complete opposite way, hopped a curb and grazed a speed limit sign and knocked it over. I called the cops and one came, and he said that his chief told him that officers had to give out tickets in these types of situations, for "speeding too fast for conditions" (even though nothing was damaged). I would like to contest it, would that be smart? If I contest it, can it still be deferred? Would it be smart to bring the cop into court? What things should I use in my defense when I go to court? I also had a friend in the car, and so he can tell the court that I wasn't speeding when I went to turn.

Oh ya, I am also 17 and have a completely clean driving record. How much will my insurance go up because of this ticket

Default Re: Can a Person Contest and Defer a Speeding Ticket in Washington State

Yes, according to the law (see RCW 46.63.070 (5)), you can request a deferral at EITHER a contested or mitigation hearing. However, in practice, you must usually request the deferral BEFORE your case is heard. In most instances, a deferral is "off the table" once your case begins.

Barry

Default Re: Can a Person Contest and Defer a Speeding Ticket in Washington State

Quote Quoting xjman360x
    View Post
    (even though nothing was damaged).
    Except for a speed limit sign!

Pretty ironic that you got a "speeding" ticket for knocking over a "speed" limit sign...

1. Sponsored Links