Default Can Credit Card Company Cancel Bank Debit Cards

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: MO

Hi there, i am actually posting a question for my parents.

A little background Info:
    My Stepfather has a Chase Visa Card (which does not have my mothers name on it. And was obtained prior to their marriage)

a Joint Checking account thru a hometown Bank with (2) Mastercard / Debit cards tied to their accounts (which dont have the words Chase on them anywhere)

A Joint Truck loan automatically paid to Chase Auto Financial out of their checking account

My stepfather was laid off almost a year ago, he recently (finally!) found a new job, but in the meantime he has gone into default with his Chase Visa. He has spoken with Chase a few times on the phone with them wanting to set up a payment plan and he trying to explain that with no job there would be no payment plan of any kind. The chase people call constantly, but so far no outside collection agencies have become involved.

Today, when my mother went to the grocery store, her debit card was denied. She ran to the local bank branch which proceeded to tell her that her card had been cut off because Chase said that they (my mother and father) weren't reliable enough to have them (i'm paraphrasing a bit, and trying to weed through her teary explaination)

She was able to write a check for Cash to the bank, so, so far the bank account hasnt been closed down or frozen. (No judgment notifications or collection notices other than those from chase saying their payment is late have been received)

My questions:
    1. Can they take away an ATM card for you not paying your credit card? Or was the teller at the bank not specfic enough with my mother in her explaination?

2. If Chase has the power to take away a debit card, can the freeze the account without judgement notice just because the Chase Auto Finance (which is a seperate payment) for their truck is automatically debitted from their account?

3. Can Chase Visa repossess their truck (the truck payments have always been made on time, for the passed 3 years they only have about 2 years worth of payments left, and its a used truck that is worth way less then what they are paying on it), even though the credit card which they have had for quite awhile is in no way connected to the truck loan other than as a subsidiary of Chase?

Thank you for your help and advice

Default Re: Can Credit Card Company Cancel Bank Debit Cards

Quote Quoting SolitaryRaevyn
    View Post
    My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: MO

Hi there, i am actually posting a question for my parents.

A little background Info:
    My Stepfather has a Chase Visa Card (which does not have my mothers name on it. And was obtained prior to their marriage)

a Joint Checking account thru a hometown Bank with (2) Mastercard / Debit cards tied to their accounts (which dont have the words Chase on them anywhere)

A Joint Truck loan automatically paid to Chase Auto Financial out of their checking account

My stepfather was laid off almost a year ago, he recently (finally!) found a new job, but in the meantime he has gone into default with his Chase Visa. He has spoken with Chase a few times on the phone with them wanting to set up a payment plan and he trying to explain that with no job there would be no payment plan of any kind. The chase people call constantly, but so far no outside collection agencies have become involved.

Today, when my mother went to the grocery store, her debit card was denied. She ran to the local bank branch which proceeded to tell her that her card had been cut off because Chase said that they (my mother and father) weren't reliable enough to have them (i'm paraphrasing a bit, and trying to weed through her teary explaination)

She was able to write a check for Cash to the bank, so, so far the bank account hasnt been closed down or frozen. (No judgment notifications or collection notices other than those from chase saying their payment is late have been received)

My questions:
    1. Can they take away an ATM card for you not paying your credit card? Or was the teller at the bank not specfic enough with my mother in her explaination?

2. If Chase has the power to take away a debit card, can the freeze the account without judgement notice just because the Chase Auto Finance (which is a seperate payment) for their truck is automatically debitted from their account?

3. Can Chase Visa repossess their truck (the truck payments have always been made on time, for the passed 3 years they only have about 2 years worth of payments left, and its a used truck that is worth way less then what they are paying on it), even though the credit card which they have had for quite awhile is in no way connected to the truck loan other than as a subsidiary of Chase?

Thank you for your help and advice
    The answers to questions one and two are yes and yes. I will leave answer to number three to a member more familiar with loans.

Google the term right of offset. It is used all the time in banking.

Default Re: Can Credit Card Company Cancel Bank Debit Cards

I have to say that I will be curious to see what the responses to your post is. I haven't had that exact problem, but just this weekend I had a MAJOR issue with Chase, so I can completely relate to the frustration you are feeling...

I have had a credit card through them for 8 years. We paid it off on Friday, and on Sunday, when my husband went to make sure the payment had been applied, we discovered that in the last 2 months, they had increased my % and decreased my credit limit, TWICE! I immediately called Chase for an explanation, and was then told that they were going to cancel my card as of the 15th of September. There were never any notices sent out for ANY of these changes. The manager I spoke to could not give me a reasoning, and when pushed about the lack of notification, at first stated that I had been notified, then, when pushed some more, stated that they weren't REQUIRED to notify me! I immediately closed the account on MY terms. I have read elsewhere that Chase and BofA are two of the worst offenders....

I'm so sorry you're parents are going through all of this!

1. Sponsored Links