Default Small Claims Paperwork Not Accepted

My question involves court procedures for the state of: Oregon

Hey guys first post.
    So a man came to my door today with a Small Claims suit for a debt from more than 6 years ago. I never received any prior information to this account. I denied owing the account and didn't accept the papers so therefore I don't know if it's the original company or if it was sold to a third party. The SOL for Or is 6 yrs. So i do not think that i have pay it. But what do i do if they try to take me to court. Or can they if i never acknowledge it or accepted the papers for Small claims.

Arrow Re: Small Claims Paperwork Not Accepted

Quote Quoting starcraft25
    View Post
    My question involves court procedures for the state of: Oregon

Hey guys first post.
    So a man came to my door today with a Small Claims suit for a debt from more than 6 years ago. I never received any prior information to this account. I denied owing the account and didn't accept the papers so therefore I don't know if it's the original company or if it was sold to a third party. The SOL for Or is 6 yrs. So i do not think that i have pay it. But what do i do if they try to take me to court. Or can they if i never acknowledge it or accepted the papers for Small claims.

If you did not accept the papers from the man that came to your door today how do you know what they said?
    What do you mean 'if they do try to take you to court' - it sounds like they are doing just that.
    If you are indeed avoiding being served in person they will use a different method of service - such as printing the info in a newspaper.

Default Re: Small Claims Paperwork Not Accepted

Avoiding service does no good. They will serve you another way, by publication as mentioned. If you do not appear they will win by default.

If you have a valid defense, such as the SOL, then you should accept service and file an answer asserting the affirmative defense of SOL and any other affirmative defense available.

Default Re: Small Claims Paperwork Not Accepted

When I opened the door he said he had in his hands papers for Small Claims court for me and gave me the name of the company. I remebered the company and realized when i last payed on the account. Alot of my past debt was from college and was resolved that was on my credit report. BTW what are the process of serving such court papers. I was never previously notified of any of this. I have been pulling my credit report yearly for the past 3 yrs. There no record of them ever being on there.

1. Sponsored Links