Default We Were Just Granted Custody of Our Niece, Can Grandmother Have the Custody Revoked

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Mississippi
    My husband and I just recieved full custody of our 3 yr neice this week. The child is my husband's brother's little girl. Now, the mother of the child's mother has contacted her lawyer to try and get custody of her. It has been 3 days since we were granted custody. The mother, the guy that's on the birth cert., and my brother-in-law (that's the father per the DNA test), have all signed their rights to me. We are from diff. states than the grandmother trying to get my neice and she is aware that she will have to leave TN and come to court in MS. Ok, NOW... the child's mother is now in jail and was just charged with her 3rd indictment. Her mother, the one trying to get our neice, has an indictment on her as well AND her live in boyfriend does, too. They are dealers and have been charged with selling. On top of being a druggy and a dealer, she is also on disability. We on the other hand, have nothing on our records, not even a speeding ticket. We've had her since May of this year. We have taken this child in as our own. We have signed her up for soccer to play with our 3 yr old (and we have a 9 yr old), she goes to church with us everytime the doors are opened, we have family outings every week, etc\. For the first time, this baby has stability and security. She knows where she going to lay her head down at night and where she's going to wake up at and WHO she's going to wake up to. She has been through so much and I am a little nervous, just because we have come so far to make sure she is protected. Ok... so my questions are... can the grandmother have the custody revoked? If so, what are the chances of her winning? ***Also, how likely would the judge give custody to a divorced great-grandmother (age 67), with NO criminal record and works 32 hours a week, but can afford to come home.***

Wink Re: We Were Just Granted Custody of Our Niece, Can Grandmother Have the Custody Revok

Quote Quoting jasonclayburn
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Mississippi
    My husband and I just recieved full custody of our 3 yr neice this week. The child is my husband's brother's little girl. Now, the mother of the child's mother has contacted her lawyer to try and get custody of her. It has been 3 days since we were granted custody. The mother, the guy that's on the birth cert., and my brother-in-law (that's the father per the DNA test), have all signed their rights to me. We are from diff. states than the grandmother trying to get my neice and she is aware that she will have to leave TN and come to court in MS. Ok, NOW... the child's mother is now in jail and was just charged with her 3rd indictment. Her mother, the one trying to get our neice, has an indictment on her as well AND her live in boyfriend does, too. They are dealers and have been charged with selling. On top of being a druggy and a dealer, she is also on disability. We on the other hand, have nothing on our records, not even a speeding ticket. We've had her since May of this year. We have taken this child in as our own. We have signed her up for soccer to play with our 3 yr old (and we have a 9 yr old), she goes to church with us everytime the doors are opened, we have family outings every week, etc\. For the first time, this baby has stability and security. She knows where she going to lay her head down at night and where she's going to wake up at and WHO she's going to wake up to. She has been through so much and I am a little nervous, just because we have come so far to make sure she is protected. Ok... so my questions are... can the grandmother have the custody revoked? If so, what are the chances of her winning? ***Also, how likely would the judge give custody to a divorced great-grandmother (age 67), with NO criminal record and works 32 hours a week, but can afford to come home.***
    I am NO expert...but it will ALWAY'S come down to the "best interest" of the child and since the child has been living with you since May, sounds as if she has already established a 'Bond' with you and your family. If the natural parents "want" her to be with you & husband(in which she is related too) then the Judge already made the best decision and probably wouldn't "revoke" it! Check on Grandparents rights in that State, yours and hers, both would be helpful. Sounds to me like you really don't have much to worry about! Good luck!

1. Sponsored Links