Default Adoption and Grandparent Visitation After Termination of Parent Rights

GEORGIA

My ex has terminated his parental rights to my child. My husband is adopting my child, and previously my ex's parents sued for grandparent's rights and have visitation that is based on my ex's visitation when he had rights. I am wanting to find out the details of what the law in GA means, and if they still have visitation rights or not since my ex terminated his rights to my child.

"Adoption cuts off the visitation rights of the grandparents unless the adoption is granted to a stepparent or a natural relative of the child."

I am wanting to find out the details of what it really means as far as a stepparent adoption is concerned. Thank you.

Default Re: Adoption and Grandparent Visitation After Termination of Parent Rights

Quote Quoting metallic36
    View Post
    GEORGIA

My ex has terminated his parental rights to my child. My husband is adopting my child, and previously my ex's parents sued for grandparent's rights and have visitation that is based on my ex's visitation when he had rights. I am wanting to find out the details of what the law in GA means, and if they still have visitation rights or not since my ex terminated his rights to my child.

"Adoption cuts off the visitation rights of the grandparents unless the adoption is granted to a stepparent or a natural relative of the child."

I am wanting to find out the details of what it really means as far as a stepparent adoption is concerned. Thank you.
    Typically a TPR and subsequent adoption also terminates the rights of the former parent's parents. However, just to make sure, you should ask the attorney who is handling the adoption.

Default Re: Adoption and Grandparent Visitation After Termination of Parent Rights

A supreme court case in Indiana held that a grandparent who is biologically related is still a biologically related relative regardless of adoption or change in parental rights of their children. They are still grandparents.

There was a case recently where an adult had herself adopted by someone else to prevent her own mother from having access to her children. The court ruled that the grandparents were still the grandparents even if the mother disowned the grandmother by any means.

What about if the grandparent's are taking the child to the biological father's house during their own visitation? He is not supposed to have any contact with her and the stepparent adoption has now been finalized.

File a motion to vacate or modify based on the fact that they are taking the child to visit her biofather after a TPR.

You may have to try for a modification first.

1. Sponsored Links