Default Abandoned Personal Property With Unpaid Storage Fees

My question involves personal property located in the State of: California
    I have a problem with what I consider abandoned personal property left on my property- in California. Last December, a woman asked me to store a boat, boat trailer, plants, pots & some other junk that filled the boat. We agreed to $1 p/d ($30 per/month) for storage. The 1st month was late-paid with $50 from a small cash job I found for her-trying to help. that paid for last Dec, partial Jan. I received $40 April 2nd. which would have brought her current to the end of Feb. She moves around quite a bit, never leaves an address, but after monthly calls from me, would sometimes return a cell call. Sometimes she would say she'd send something, other times- just a small talk message & no talk of $$. There had been no calls or contact since early June. I gave up & she didn't call either. Some of the plants died, others I moved to a seperate area of a back yard of a tenant (my rental) who offered to try to save what was left. The original storage agreement was to prearrange a meeting with me or let me know in adavnce if she was coming out to the (stored)property. Last week without prior call or notice she came out when I was gone, to take the plants and/or some of her things. She knew I had another property and went there next. A neighbor saw her 'casing the house' driving up & down the street in an unfamiliar vehicle, then dash up the stairs taking all the tenants plants off the front porch and most of the 'abandoned' plants from the back yard. Needless to say the tenant living there came out of the house, caught her in the act and called the police- they are working on a tresspassing & theft issue. That tenant was distraught finding someone running around in her yard stealing her things. I offered to help press charges. I consider it a seperate matter. The stored or abandoned property in question, I'd like to get rid of- 6 mos of minimal talk/ no money- with the last 2 1/2+ months of no contact at all. The value of the junk that is left is under $300 in my opinion. This woman & her (abandoned to me) property are much more trouble and time and I'd like to be rid of both. The issue of a seemingly premeditated,unanuonced dash to my property, while I was gone, certainly with no money, in a different/possibly borrowed vehicle, to grab property & run, would have kind of worked for her in an illegal way except for the little snag of accidently stealing someone else's property in the process. It certainly lends itself the image of an other than honorable operation on her part. My position is that she abandoned her property or had no intention of paying for it's storage. I'd like to get rid of it all-what's left, but not surrender it to her unless she 1st pays a 'reasonable' storage fee of $210.00( now 7 months if September is included,no late fee, no interest,nothing extra for all the extra time & trouble). However- With all the trouble caused to me & the tenant at the other address, I prefer to just get rid of the rest of the stuff, or not give it up to her unless she can compensate me for the amount of months she left everything behind. She refuses -even to police to give her exact location- she responed to an E-mail (someone else's ?) last week. In the absence of a physical mailing address, would an E-mail address work for giving notice? would I have to give her 15 or 18 days to respond? Is there like an easier way you or someone can think of. Feeling kind of used & abused here. Really feel bad for the tenant who was just trying to do me a favor & keep some plants alive in her back yard. She is still having nightmares about people running around in her yard taking her things. What a pain in the b*&t. This is my 1st post. Thank you in advance for any help.

Default Re: Abandoned Personal Property With Unpaid Storage Fees

I'm not sure what you're trying to ask. If you are asking if you can dmand that she pay you $210, I don't see what's stopping you. Find her and ask her, and see what she says.

From what you've told us, though, odds are she doesn't have $210.

Default Re: Abandoned Personal Property With Unpaid Storage Fees

When I do get her to commit to an answer, she always says she doesn't have any money for me up to 2 1/2 mos ago when I gave up calling and also last week when we talked after the police got ahold of her. So I've already made the $$ demand. Can I just get rid of the stuff that's left? Do I have to go through a bunch of legal hoops or is the property abandoned? I want to get rid of the stuff. I don't want to have it left at my place for non payment. At what point is it considered abandoned and no longer hers? If it is considered abandoned, then I'd be at the dumps & Salvation Army tomorrow with anything they'd consider taking. Thanks

1. Sponsored Links