Default Minor Wants To Move Internationally

Im 16 years old and currently living in London, ON (Canada). My family situation at the time (and since I can remember) has been horrible. My dad is verbally abusive to me and my mom and I can't live like this anymore. Anyone I meet or that even see's pictures of me tells me that I look permanently sad, and wonders whats wrong. I would like to be living on my own and away from here. My boyfriend is 24 years old with a great job, and could suppport me (but he lives in the States) and I am perfectly capable of getting a job and supporting myself as well. I am trying to get information on different options that I may have to get out of this situation and change my life. Do I need to be emancipated to move out and live on my own if I can support myself? What other options might I have?

Oh and what are the Emancipation Laws in Ontario?

I have never found official information on emancipation in Ontario. Conventional wisdom is that you can establish an independent household at 16 without going through the courts, but absent official confirmation I personally wouldn't rely upon conventional wisdom as to the law. Check with a guidance counselor at school. Also, if you were to try to move to the U.S., absent a court-ordered emancipation you would likely first have trouble trying to enter and second would likely not be regarded as emancipated by whatever state you move to.

I can't go to my guidance counselor at school because it is a catholic school and that would definatly be frowned upon. I don't think they would give me any help...at the most they would probably call in my parents to 'discuss' the issues at home. Our guidance counselors are more to guide us into the classes we want to take. :?

1. Sponsored Links