Post Can You Get Reports From the National Retail Theft Database

My question involves criminal law for the state of: CA

Hi,
    I am researching for a friend of mine. She was an employee at a video game store and they locked her in a room with three males and basically forced her to sign a statement stating that she took merchandise (i.e signs, systems) from the store. She did do this, but because they had functions to promote the store (church functions,etc.) All the stuff she "took" was returned. They took her store keys and suspended her. They told her they had her on tape stealing, but would not show her the tape. Later they tried to get her to come back. she declined, saying that she felt that she had been fired. She applied for unemployment and then got a job at a different video game company. Eventually her name showed up in this database. Is there a way to get a copy of the "signed document" they have on file? Do they have to give her a copy if she requests one? If the store filed this report falsely , how can she get it removed. This affected her unemployment as well.

Thanks for your time.

Default Re: National Retail Theft Database

If she wrote a statement it in not a false document. She should be able to get a copy of the backround via the company that provided the report.

Default Re: National Retail Theft Database

She should also write to that past employer to review her Personnel File, either in person, or obtain a copy of it. See if your state has an Employee Right To Know Act (in Michigan its the Bullard Plawecki Employee Right to Know Act). Also review the Employee RTK law in your state - she may be able to place a letter in the file disputing their claim.

The letter should read something like this:

Dear (employer):

Pursuant to the (name the employee right to know act), I am requesting to review my personnel file. We can set up an appointment for me to review it, or you may mail me a copy. Please respond by (give them 30 days).

If she reviews in person, she may also request a copy. She may have to pay copying costs.

The letter should be mailed with Certified Mail, Return Receipt requested.

Hope this helps a bit.

1. Sponsored Links