I live here. Actually in a little area called the Knob. In Ohio

Default Patient Died from Ruptured Colon During Surgery

This happened 4 or 5 years ago. My step-sons mother went to the hospital to have a routine test. She was having her colon check and anyway during the testing the doctor ripped a 8 inch gash in her lower intestine. He ignored her cries of pain and released her from the test. She was sick the rest of the day and was told she would have some discomfort. The testing was on a Wednesday and by Friday she was admitted back in to the hospital and Saturday morning she had died during a exploritory surgery where the surgeon found the rip and tried to cover it up. Because the step-mother worked for the city the coroner insisted on doing a autopsy and discovered the malpractice.

The step-sons and step-father are suing the doctor and the hospital and just out of curiousity I was wondering how long does this type of lawsuit go. We are in Ohio if that matters.

Default What?

I worked in the surgical field for 20 years and find it incredibly unlikely that it happened quite like that. I don't think it would be possible to create an 8 inch tear in bowel tissue with a colonoscope. Further, the gastroenterologist would have seen the damage on the monitor and she would have been in surgery within minutes.

Third, if she died during the exploratory surgery, the surgeon would have a strong incentive to report the extent of the injury...he certainly wouldn't cover it up. In addition, everyone in the OR suite would have known about it. Last, if she had such extensive damage, I don't think she would have lived until Friday without professional help.

Whatever Chucky I just know that the woman was injured and died 3 days after the test and she was ok before he injured her.

She wasn't the first to suffer this fate from this doctor. I found out he murdered others. Anywho I just hear bits and pieces as I'm the step-mother and the boys are adults and rarely visit their bio-dad or discuss the murder of their mother.

The best person to estimate a possible verdict or settlement would be the medical malpractice lawyer handing the case. There are a lot of factors which go into a verdict or settlement, including the strength of the plaintiff's claim, the economic damages suffered (both in terms of medical costs, funeral costs., etc., and in terms of lost future wages), and the extent of the patient's suffering before death. It is my recollection that Ohio caps non-economic damages.

Default Really

Well, just out of curiosity, how did you find out that he "murdered others"? (I'm not saying he didn't...I'm just curious because if it's been proven and it's common knowledge, that would be rather odd, to say the very least).

Actually Chucky I went online and went to the clerk of courts in my county and some of my surrounding counties and discover that there were several malpractice lawsuits against him.

Default Odd

Medical malpractice lawsuits are not unusual (which is why insurance is so expensive). Your story seems to change with each clarification.

Perhaps but I had to live with two young men that saw their mother die a horrible painful needless death due to a mistake a doctor made and then tried to have covered up. They were 20 and 21 when she passed away and everyday it affects them. Christmas, her birthday, and Mother's Day are still very very hard for them. I know that you don't care Chucky as you just think in dollar signs but what one person does for the $$ can affect another person or their family for many years to come.

Default What?

Based on all that you've written, it seems fairly obvious that you have absolutely no idea what really happened.

1. Sponsored Links