Default Neighbor's Pool Crosses the Property Line

For about 9 years we have always thought that our property line was a straight line in which our old neighbor put a fence on. In the past 5 months we have come to realize that this is not the case.
    This summer our new neighbor installed a pool and through a mutual investigation we discovered that our property line starts at the same place as the fence but it continues at a 33 degree angle, equalling approx. 25 feet, which now cuts her pool in half and leaves tabout 1/2 the pool and deck on our property. I did have a surveyor come out and confirm that the property line was infact correct.
    My husband and I have informed my neighbor that we would like our land back and she has been very uncooperative.
    Do you have any suggestions for us?
    Thank you.

Your rights will vary by state.

Is the pool in-ground or above-ground? How realistic would it be to move the pool?

I would enjoy my half of the pool. Another option is to install the fence on the property line. If it is an inground pool, it was an honest mistake but they owe you for the property. I would send them a demand, CRRR, that they either remove the pool or purchase the property.

The pool is above ground and could be easily moved. We even offered our assistance.
    Since my initial post we had another pin flagging done and we found another one of our property pins, an axel. We did another measurement of our property and it came to the same point our inital flagging did but she is still disputing that it's correct. She wanted us to compromise and say our pin was about 2 feet from where our measurement was.
    Of course this could have been settled if they had a permit when they put the pool up?

If you agree to a new property line, that new line may become permanent. If you don't want that to happen you can assert your property rights and give them permission to stay on the land, or you can try to eject them as trespassers.

1. Sponsored Links