Default Changing Your Last Name to One Different From Your Children's

I recently remarried, I have children from my previous marriage, the youngest is 16. I went today to change my name on my drivers license and my social security record. I was told that I should keep my former married name and just hyphenate it with my new married name because I have children I have never heard this before today. Can someone help I am not sure what to do. I would greatly appreciate some help and advice on this issue. Are there some possible legal issues I am not aware of? Is there a legal reason to hyphenate your name? I always thought it was just a choice that some women made when marrying.

Thank you.

Default Name Change

It's your name. Who told you this? Did they actually tell you that you couldn't change your name, or just their opinion that you should do so through hyphenation?

Some people think it is important that kids share their parents' surname.

Good morning,
    I was not told that I could not change my last name. I was however told that if i did my surname being different from my children could cause legal problems if something happened with one of my kids that I would have to prove paternity. I have never heard of this. Wouldn't a birth certificate prove that i was there mother regardless of my last name? :?:

Thank you so much for the response.

Default Children's Surname

Frequently after divorce, and sometimes because that's just what a family chooses to do, a parent has a different surname than a child. I guess it's possible that it could cause confusion, but I'm not aware of any instances.

1. Sponsored Links