Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Signing Away Parental Rights

    I live in the state of Mississippi.

    How does one go about signing away parental rights to a child? If you voluntarily sign over your parental rights, then will you still be required to pay child support if your ex is remarried?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006

    Default Re: Signing Away Parental Rights

    there are very few times a parent can simply "sign away their rights" and when I say very few times, I mean "almost never".

    You do not simply get to avoid your parental obligations by trying to give up your parental rights. It doesn't work like that.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Wichita Falls, Texas

    Default Re: Signing Away Parental Rights

    My ex has very recently signed his rights away to my daughter. I contacted a lawyer and she sent my ex an Affidavit of Waiver of Interest. He signed the papers and returned them to my lawyer. We (my lawyer and I, not the father) went to court and had an Order of Termination drawn up and approved. She said it is very easy to do when you have the Affidavit of Waiver of Interest and no one is contesting it. Once a parent signs the Waiver of Interest their is no disputing it and if he signed it and returned it then why would he dispute it? It was much easier than I thought it was going to be. Many people told me it would be very difficult and almost impossible, but it wasn't and if the father/mother is that willing than it shouldn't be that difficult.

    BUT if YOU are trying to sign your rights away and the other parent does not want you to, say they want you to pay child support or whatever the reason may be, you can't without the other parents consent. It has to be mutual.

    I reside in the state of Texas. It may be different where you live.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006

    Default Re: Signing Away Parental Rights

    you experienced an unusual situation lovemybabies. In most situations, a court will not allow either parent to shirk their duties as a parent. The one of the biggest reasons is because if the remaining parent would get state aid, the state would have nobody to seek repayment from. That is just the way it is.

    IF the non-custodial parent abandons the child for a period of time, often 1 year with no contact or support efforts, the custodial parent can sue to have the non-custodial parents parental rights terminated.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Signing Over Parental Rights
    By CourtneyJ832 in forum Paternity Law
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-19-2010, 05:34 AM
  2. Guardianship: Signing Over Parental Rights
    By quasia in forum Disability and Elder Law
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-26-2010, 01:18 PM
  3. How Does Signing Away Your Parental Rights Work
    By Chume in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2010, 11:00 AM
  4. Signing Away Parental Rights
    By shibby510 in forum Paternity Law
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-05-2008, 12:32 PM
  5. Support Arrears: Arrearages After Signing Over Parental Rights
    By dbarry in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources

Forum Sponsor
Custody Lawyer
Get help for your custody case. Consult a divorce lawyer for free.