Default Where to File a Custody Case if the Parents Live in Different States

I have a 5 month old daughter that was born in colorado and currently lives in colorado with her mother. I, the Father lives in california. I've tried nicely to come up with an agreement with the mother for visitation and half custody in the future but she's not cooperating. I need to take this to court and my question is:

Do I get a lawyer in CO or CA ?

Do I file in Co or CA?

What custody laws do I fall under, CO or CA?

Thanks

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Default Re: California vs. Colorado

You file, hire an attorney and abide by the laws of the state of Colorado. And there is no such thing as half custody. You can't cut a child in half. Are you speaking of joint custody? Hopefully you're speaking of joint legal custody because joint physical custody is never going to happen when you guys live in two different states.

1. Sponsored Links