Default No Missed Payments, Ex Had Car Voluntarily Repossessed-Nm

My question involves an auto loan or repossession in the State of New Mexico.

My ex, whom I was living with at the time of signing, put a car under his name for me to pay for.
    We got the car in May of 2008. I've made every single payment on it since, and have not missed a single payment.
    We broke up earlier this year, and had made an agreement to let me keep the car, on the condition I continue to pay for it, which I have been.
    I looked out my window, at around 4am this morning, to discover my car was gone. I tried to call him, but no answer...so I called the cops. I later find out, he'd had the car repossessed earlier that night, without warning me..nothing.

What legal action can I take against him? He's not made ANY payments on it, ever, and every payment has come out of my personal checking account.
    I need my car back. This is just ridiculous.

For the record, my credit is bad. That's why he put it under his name in the first place. They wouldn't even let me put my name on the papers. I have no legal document linking me to the car, except for bank statements.

It figures he had it done on a Saturday night, knowing that the banks are closed today. Great.

Default Re: No Missed Payments, Ex Had Car Voluntarily Repossessed-Nm

I am not a legal person by any means, but this happened to me in my divorce-it was even in writing in the divorce paperwork that I would be able to keep the car-and I had absolutely no recourse when it got repo'd. I doubt that you will be able to do anything.

Well, I found out, recently...like today, that he was actually the one that personally repossessed it, and told the cops (whom I know, because they are friends with my boyfriend who is also a cop), that he had it "privately repo'd."
    It means he got a key somehow (probably went to the dealership), and took my car from my apartment parking lot. He had no permission to use that car, other than his name being on there. So if this turns out to be a criminal matter (talking to a detective about it now), I'm going to definitely press charges and probably sue.
    This whole thing is a mess. On top of that, his little girlfriend is messaging me on myspace, when she doesn't need to be. I'm an adult, I don't have time for these stupid games.

If his name is on the title, then it is legally his. He cannot be held criminally for taking what is rightfully his I don't believe. What you can do is sue him in court and show the judge that all payments were made by you from your account (hopefully, it was an account that only YOU contributed income to, not the two of you). But then again, not sure what the judge would decide either.

My advice comes from several years of experience observing the legal system if you will. take it for what it's worth.

1. Sponsored Links