Default Is It Legal to Remove Little Wooden Stakes That Run Full Length of Property Line

1) In Michigan, Is it legal to remove little wooden stakes that run full length of property line?

Not the true steel corner iron rods driven in each corner of the property line a few feet & labeled with surveyors identification info.

Those I under stand they are the true property stakes that are intended to be permanent. These strange neighbors have left the little wooden stakes up for 4 years. Plus, keep painting them bright orange that were only driven in the ground a few inches, by the surveyors. (They even tied kite string & tied orange plastic ribbons every few feet to make sure they are even more annoying to look at along the full length of the 1000' of property line.

Obviously these neighbors are psycho & paranoid they have no morals or ethics to stop them from trespassed on to all the surrounding neighbors without an ounce of remorse. When can caught actual they become violent & try to make you feel you are causing the conflict? So dealing with irrational people has been useless to try & politely ask them to remove these ugly stakes & string. It is so ugly & gaudy!!

Thank you in advance, Chet

Default Re: Is It Legal to Remove Little Wooden Stakes That Run Full Length of Property Line

why would you want to remove their fence?

just kidding but unless the stakes are on your property, you have no right to touch them.

Default Re: Is It Legal to Remove Little Wooden Stakes That Run Full Length of Property Line

They are in the exact middle of both of our properties. the dividing line between mine & theirs- so aren't they technically on my property too?

So if I don't like them don't I have the right to dispose of them?

I to had a survey done 6 years ago but, I was smart enough not leave those stupid ugly stakes, If you bump into them they will fall over or break real easy.

The surveyors even told then they are only intended to make their job easier during the survey. But, are not by any means meant to be used as permanent boundary stakes!!

A animal like deer have broken them before, So why can't I pull them out. Or should but a little trail of corn along the stake lines & have the Deer take care of them for me

I like the deer idea but isn't baiting deer illegal in Michigan?

You have to consider how much of a bother this is. You also have to realize that a property division line is an immeasurable line. There is no width to such a division line.

If the stakes are exactly on the line, you could remove them since they are committing a trespass (once you notify them in Michigan since apparently notice is required in Michigan before it is tresspass) and as such, you can remove such a trespass. If they are bordering the division line but on their side, you cannot touch them.

so, are you willing to argue exactly where they are concerning the property line? Enough to go to court, and most likely hiring another survey to prove they were straddling the line or on your side?

I like the deer idea.

the stakes are not meant to be permanent. It is only to delineate the line for the owners benefit.

No baiting is not illegal anymore. Never was during off season.

But, that does bring up a good idea I am a horrible shot so I could accidental shoot the stakes down while trying to hit the deer

1. Sponsored Links