Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1

    Post Grandparents Looking for the Best Solution

    My question involves grandparents rights in the State of: Florida.

    My 17 year old daughter gave birth 4 months ago, we have had many problems and she even moved out of my house a month an a half ago (without the baby). The baby has lived in our home everyday since birth. My daughter is back now and until now my daughter was unwilling to give the baby to my husband and I, but now she would like to give us custody or guardianship. She says she would like us to have the baby until the baby turns 18. We are more then willing and capable of caring for our grandchild. Now I don't know how to go about doing this as well as the fact that I don't know if we need the baby's father to agree. The baby's father is not a fit parent and we feel that harm to the baby could be the result of things that the father does. Please help I only want what is best for my grandchild.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Toledo, OH

    Default Re: Grandparents Looking for the Best Solution

    Has paternity been legally established, via Acknowledgment of Paternity or DNA testing?

    Are there court ordered custody and visitation arrangements?
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Grandparents Looking for the Best Solution

    The father has said the baby is his and has signed the birth certifiate
    No court ordered custody or visitation arrangements have been made
    My daughter has only filed for child support (court hearing is soon)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Re: Grandparents Looking for the Best Solution

    You can find a relatively lengthy overview of Florida guardianship and the associated legal proceedings here (PDF) You will either need the baby's father to agree, or get the court to find that he's not presently capable of serving as the child's custodial parent.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Removal (Deportation) and Reentry: Is Marriage a Solution for a Deported Fiance Who Want to Came Back
    By Marcel in forum Immigration Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 05:33 AM
  2. Copyright Law: Copyright of a Solution Manual
    By ashman165 in forum Intellectual Property
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-27-2008, 11:42 AM
  3. Property Tax Solution
    By Apoll0 in forum Tax Law
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-12-2007, 04:59 PM
  4. Trademarks: Your Analysis Needed: Trademark Infringement? Proactiv Solution vs Propassiv Solution
    By ixk1ngxi in forum Intellectual Property
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-28-2007, 06:48 AM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources