Post Grandparents Looking for the Best Solution

My question involves grandparents rights in the State of: Florida.

My 17 year old daughter gave birth 4 months ago, we have had many problems and she even moved out of my house a month an a half ago (without the baby). The baby has lived in our home everyday since birth. My daughter is back now and until now my daughter was unwilling to give the baby to my husband and I, but now she would like to give us custody or guardianship. She says she would like us to have the baby until the baby turns 18. We are more then willing and capable of caring for our grandchild. Now I don't know how to go about doing this as well as the fact that I don't know if we need the baby's father to agree. The baby's father is not a fit parent and we feel that harm to the baby could be the result of things that the father does. Please help I only want what is best for my grandchild.

Default Re: Grandparents Looking for the Best Solution

Has paternity been legally established, via Acknowledgment of Paternity or DNA testing?

Are there court ordered custody and visitation arrangements?
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

The father has said the baby is his and has signed the birth certifiate
    No court ordered custody or visitation arrangements have been made
    My daughter has only filed for child support (court hearing is soon)

You can find a relatively lengthy overview of Florida guardianship and the associated legal proceedings here (PDF) You will either need the baby's father to agree, or get the court to find that he's not presently capable of serving as the child's custodial parent.

1. Sponsored Links