Default Collecting Unemployment While Doing Part-Time Contract Work

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: New York

Hi,

I've been collecting unemployment for a couple weeks.

The other day I was offered the chance to work part-time for a company as a contract worker (w-9 form) over the course of an evaluation period, after which it's possible (but not guaranteed) that I'll be accepted as a full-time employee with benefits.

However, for the next month, possibly 2, the company will only budget me 51 hours of work each month. Although I'm making more hourly than my previous job, with so few hours I'd actually be making much less than I am on unemployment.

Should I turn this offer down? Or can I collect partial benefits and work part-time in new york? According to the NYS dept. of labor site, if I work only 3 days, and since I'd be making less than $405 a week I could collect 1/4 of my benefits, which when combined with my paycheck from contract work would nearly equal my full benefits. Maybe I should approach the employer about this option?

If after the 1st month or 2, if the employer doesn't think I'd be a good fit, and ends our agreement, would I be able to go back to earning full unemployment?

Default Re: Collecting Unemployment While Doing Part-Time Contract Work

Probably.

However, what makes this you properly classified as an IC for this gig? It's likely that, if the opportunity for making you an employee exists after XX months, and you would be doing the same type of work, you wouldn't be properly classified as an IC to start with.

1. Sponsored Links