Default Can a Landlord Sue for Damages After Agreeing Everything Was Okay

If my landlord signed a paper stating everything was ok with the premises when I left, I have the document and a witness of him signed and stating everything ok - can he come back and sue me for anything later?

Default Re: Can a Landlord Sue for Damages After Agreeing Everything Was Okay

For damage you admit you caused, but for some reason your landlord didn't notice?

i moved out a few days ago. He did a walk through with me. I showed him everything. He even told me that the place looked real nice and thanks for taking care of it for him. He even said this in front of my witness. After walking through he said everything looked good, including floors, carpet, furniture, ect....he signed a paper that stated moved out inspection done and there is a checklist where everything was checked off as good, same or issues that he knew about already but was normal wear and tear or already damaged before I moved into the place. There is nothing on the check list that indicates bad or damaged property that everything was in same or like condition. He is the type of person who will be like that and then WANT more. He called me saying: the garage floor needed to be painted, I told him no b/c its normal wear and tear. I just want to know if I have a signed document that indicates everything was alright will that hold up in court? He did not mention anything in the walk through and my witness was also there.

He can sue if he wants to. For him to prevail, he'd have to prove to the satisfaction from the court that there was a very good reason that he didn't discover the alleged problem until after he signed the document. Unless you did something very strange (like did some major damage and came up with a cosmetic way of temporarily covering it up) I'd say he would have a very difficult time prevailing in court.

He is complaining about the smell of cat litter in the basement....its is not a finished basement. Also the musty smell. During the floods last year the whole basement flooded the white walls he painted are yellow and the floor is yellow due to flooding and water, he was informed of this on 4 occassions and did nothing about it. He was ok with it the other day now wants to know what WE are going to do about it. I told him nothing he needed to fix the leaks and seal the basement and clean it more b.c I cleaned to the best of my ability for a basement. I left the house in very good condition better than when I moved in and we even updated the house with wood floors for him and made the value go up for selling. He approved all this and was happy with the work. So I def did not trash the place by any means. In the contract it states tenant responsible for gas (lp) during tenancy of lease. When I first got there is was only filled to about 25% full in a 1000 gallon tank. I filled in once with the minimum amount and now he wants me to fill the complete 1000 tank at my expense, but it does not state in the lease I have to pay to re-fill when I move out.

the guy in general is a real piece of work. I have to cover myself with him in general. He wants everything for free or a little out of everyone. I bought a big screen TV off him for 1000 and when I moved he decided he did not want to sell it anymore so he asked to buy it back, I got 890 back but not 110 of the rest yet. He thinks I forgot about it. there was constance disturbances with him and his work behind the house. He lived in a camper while I rented his real house. He hired choice people who offered us drugs all the time or food stamps in exchange for cash, we dont do drugs or take food stamps, i paid 890 a month in rent for goodness sake I dont need that stuff. the people he has hired has been in my garage and things have been stolen. They have even written checks on him and forged his name - thats how bad the people he hires are.
    He told his gf he could come into the house ANYTIME and tan b/c its his house. He stole personal belongings, I found them in his garage and when confronted he said "oh, I dont know how they got there". He broke into the house on 3 occassions that I know of without my permission or knowlege and when told about it and I confronted him he said "it my f'n house I'll do what I want". Pulled boyfriends car away from a fence b/c he wanted to put rock by the fence and bent the sway bars or whatever - the car would not drive straight after that, I was not home to move it and he could not wait, even though he never told me he was going to fix anything. He changed the rental agreement from including mowing and snow removal to "I dont have time to do it so you can since you only pay $890 in rent." So i ended up doing the mowing and snow removal but it was not initially that way.....it keeps going see why I am concerned....? This is why I am also gone and out of there.....

1. Nothing in your second post changes the opinion I offered in my first post. - hope that doesn't sound harsh; I don't mean it that way, just a statement of fact.
    2. He doesn't sound like a person who would actually sue you, this reads like a person who will push as hard as he can, threaten, etc., to get what he wants, but not go farther.

Thank you Scott67, I appreciate it.

So, you are right he is threatening me with small claims court or to "talk it out". There is nothing to talk out. He told me everything was fine through a tex message. He would be fine if the LP bill was paid. Throught a text message. I have tried to call him seversal times he will not answer the phone he only texts which I save them. I paid for the LP while I was there, when I moved out he filled it back up (1000 gallon tank) and wants me to pay for it so he can live there. It was not full when I moved in I wrote down the percentage and took pictures. I left it with the same amount pretty much and the lease does not state I have to fill 100% full when I move, it does not state to re-fill at all. Only to fill when I am a tenant there. So now the guy is with holding my mail from me. He texted me saying he had important mail for me and I told him to put in mail box and I would get it. He told me he would hang onto it until I came there, I told him there was no reason for me to come there and he needed to put it back in the mail box to be forwarded and he will not do it, he told me he will hang onto it. I have tried to call him again and no answer, what should I do?

Well, holding someone's mail as you describe is a Federal Offense. That being said, it is a tough one to prove. If he IS holding your mail, he could simply throw some or all away and you wouldn't know one way or the other. What he is doing is also blackmail - with a blackmailer's mentality, meaning if you cave in, the demands will never stop. Now, actually, you don't KNOW that he is holding your mail; you just know that he said he is. I recommend the following:

1. Text him back that holding mail is a Federal Offense and that if he doesn't forward the mail immediately, you will report him to the Feds.
    2. I hope you've already done this, but if you haven't, file a change of address with the Post Office immediately.
    3. Go to the Post Office servicing that address. File a report with them that this person has admitted holding your mail. If they have the capability to receive it forward them the text messages in which he stated he was holding your mail.
    4. Assume that whatever mail he is holding, you will never see again. Take stock of your mail. Bills tend to come at the same time each month. Identify any that might be missing and contact the sender to request a duplicate bill to be mailed to your current address.
    5. Keep your pictures and documentation just in case he actually does file in small claims.
    6. Get on with your life and ignore and farther messages from him.

Thank you. I have changed my address but apparently some items still went to the old address. I have went through all my important bills and people notified them. He could just be saying that also, I guess just to get me out there but ther is no point. I appreciate your relpy thank you.

1. Sponsored Links