Question Am I Legally Divorced

My question involves divorce in the State of: Tennesee

I was 22 and met a girl and jumped right into marriage. We got Married (Eloped) in KY. A month later, we were legally Living in VA, but residing in TN. She cheated and I left. She filed for divorce Dec. 2008 in the state of TN (I was and am living in VA).

I did the usual Thing, hired a lawyer, and I believe he took care of it by April 2009. I never did recieve a divorce certificate, or otherwise paper evidence that my divorce had been completed. I called up TN Vital Records, and VitalCheck and they ask for money, before they can just tell me if my divorce has been completed.

Is there any way to see if I am officially divorced without being charged? I do not need the actual Certificate.

Default Re: Am I Legally Divorced

Quote Quoting D1818
    View Post
    I did the usual Thing, hired a lawyer, and I believe he took care of it by April 2009. I never did recieve a divorce certificate, or otherwise paper evidence that my divorce had been completed. I called up TN Vital Records, and VitalCheck and they ask for money, before they can just tell me if my divorce has been completed.

Is there any way to see if I am officially divorced without being charged? I do not need the actual Certificate.
    Contact your lawyer. He should provide you copies of the paperwork. You may think that you don't need the "actual Certificate", but I am sure that things will come up in the future in which you will need it.

Default Update on - Am I Legally Divorced

Re: Am I Legally Divorced

Quoting D1818
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contact your lawyer. He should provide you copies of the paperwork. You may think that you don't need the "actual Certificate", but I am sure that things will come up in the future in which you will need it.

----------------------------------------------------

UPDATE ON QUESTION: One of the reasons I am not certain that my divorce has been completed, is that my lawyer stopped returning my calls, and I have not been able to get in touch with him since March. Are there any alternate ways to obatain a "Married" or "Divorced" status on myself?

Default Re: Update on - Am I Legally Divorced

Check the court file from your divorce case. If a judgment of divorce was entered, it's in the file.

How do I check the court file?

Go to the court and ask to look at it, or contact the court and see if you can order a copy by mail (and how much it will cost). If the court has an online docket, go to the court's website and see what information you can get that way.

1. Sponsored Links